Click here to download a copy of the Lab Notebook Template for Project 2.
Click here to download a copy of the Project 2 Summary & Reflections.
Laboratory work for Project 2 will be completed in pairs. Each assignment (e.g., workshops, quizzes, notebooks) must be completed individually.
The primary objective of this project is to determine the structure of an unidentified reaction product. You will use the structure determination methods you studied in CHEM 205 (IR, MS, and NMR) to establish the structure of the major product generated by your reaction. For context, the experimental outcome is compared that of the same reaction under a different set of conditions.
At the end of this project, you should know how to:
• Replicate the procedure for a simple chemical reaction involving organic compounds
• Use thin layer chromatography (TLC) to follow the progress of a chemical reaction
• Perform a vacuum filtration
• Obtain and analyze a mass spectrum
• Obtain and analyze an infrared (IR) spectrum
• Obtain and analyze 1H and 13C nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectra
Project 2 Score Distribution
Project 2 Prelab Quiz 10%
Lab Notebook 2 75%
Project 2 Summary & Reflections 15%