Laboratory work for Project 1 will be completed in pairs. Each assignment (e.g., workshops, quizzes, reports) must be completed individually.
The primary objective of this project is to analyze the outcome of a chemical reaction carried out under two different sets of conditions. You will use the structure determination methods you studied in CHEM 205 (IR, MS, and NMR) to establish the structure(s) of the major product(s) generated under the two different scenarios.
Remember that whenever a chemist performs a chemical reaction, there are at least three measures of success to consider:
1. What is the identity (i.e., structure) of the product(s)?
2. What is the quantity of product generated (by mass and percent yield)?
3. How pure is the isolated product?
You should analyze the data gathered for each reaction in Project 1 to make a logical argument in your Project Report regarding these three measures of success for each reaction.
At the end of this project, you should know how to:
• Replicate the procedure for a simple chemical reaction involving organic compounds
• Set up and employ a reflux apparatus
• Perform a vacuum filtration
• Obtain and analyze a mass spectrum
• Obtain and analyze an infrared (IR) spectrum
• Obtain and analyze 1H and 13C nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectra
Project 1 Score Distribution