Mea culpa

I just updated my previous post to make clear that the rumor about CDMS having detected dark matter probably isn’t true.  Thanks to the people who pointed out the update to the place I got the rumor from, which includes an email from an editor at Nature indicating that they haven’t accepted such a paper. Sorry for my credulousness.

Brent Follin, in a comment to my post, makes some observations about the Nature editor’s email:

It seemed a little strong and personal to be an actual email from someone writing a professional email, but it did point out that December 18th is a Friday, and Nature is published on a Thursday (with the articles normally released by Wednesday's evening news). So this rumor could be true, but I doubt the Nature publication (which makes me doubt the rumor). Also, Dr. Sage seemed pretty pissed about the mention of an "embargo", which she says is unfounded–that authors can, for instance, post on Arxiv before the publication date.

A couple of comments:

First, I agree with Brent that the tone seems very odd.  Maybe he just had a bad day.  Second, I went and checked out Nature‘s embargo policy.  It’s true that the policy allows posting on the arXiv, but it forbids talking to the press until a week before publication.

I’m not sure how that policy serves a useful purpose:  journalists can read the arXiv, you know!  Is it really better for them to see the article but not be able to talk to the authors for clarification?   But it’s their journal, so they can do what they want.

Ted Bunn

I am chair of the physics department at the University of Richmond. In addition to teaching a variety of undergraduate physics courses, I work on a variety of research projects in cosmology, the study of the origin, structure, and evolution of the Universe. University of Richmond undergraduates are involved in all aspects of this research. If you want to know more about my research, ask me!