Paper submitted

I love the feeling right after submitting a paper for publication.  One just went off yesterday. Since my sabbatical is winding down, and I’m now acting department chair, I’m glad to have gotten this finished before the semester starts.

This one’s pretty specialized, likely to be of interest only to people who analyze microwave background polarization maps.  Here’s the abstract, in case you care:

Separation of the B component of a cosmic microwave background (CMB) polarization map from the much larger E component is an essential step in CMB polarimetry. For a map with incomplete sky coverage, this separation is necessarily hampered by the presence of “ambiguous” modes which could be either E or B modes. I present an efficient pixel-space algorithm for removing the ambiguous modes and separating the map into “pure” E and B components. The method, which works for arbitrary geometries, does not involve generating a complete basis of such modes and scales the cube of the number of pixels on the boundary of the map.

4 thoughts on “Paper submitted”

1. I’m amused by the writing pattern characteristic of abstracts. They always go

“Statement of something everybody knows. Statement of something nobody knows. I found out the thing nobody knows.”

The part that amuses me is the “Statement of something everybody knows.” Why state something everybody knows?

2. I love the feeling right after submitting a paper for publication.

Yes, but the feelings after acceptance, after publication and after the first citation are even better.

3. @Phillip– I don’t even notice the actual publication event anymore, since the paper’s been up on the Web for so long before that. One time not too long ago, I was in the library browsing through the table of contents of some journal. A title caught my eye, and I thought, “That’s related to some work I did not too long ago; I should look at it.” Then I realized that it was my paper.

I certainly agree with you on the others, though!

4. I am into writing articles for publication and I strongly agree of the nice feeling after my work is published. It is something one should be proud of. It is not only on the acceptance but of the work and the end result. Full Lace Front Wigs UK