Drew Barrymore: The Heroic Story of the Little Girl Lost

Oops!  We had to remove the hero profile you’re looking for because it will soon appear in our new book Heroic Leadership: An Influence Taxonomy of 100 Exceptional Individuals, to be published by Routledge in 2013.

Our contract at Routledge required us to remove many of our profiles on our blog at this time.  But we do have other hero profiles and information about heroes on the menu bar located on the right side of this page.  Check it out!

In the mean time, please accept our apologies.  Here is more information about our new book.

You can click here to return to our HERO home page.  And thanks for visiting!

— Scott Allison and George Goethals

15 thoughts on “Drew Barrymore: The Heroic Story of the Little Girl Lost

1. I freakin’ love Drew Barrymoore’s acting and personality, but now that I know she’s so active in feeding the hungry it makes me love her more. And instead of just donating money, I love how she’s actually taking the time out of her busy schedule to travel to these countries and be active.

2. I think Drew Barrymore is a great role model. I love that she is honest about her troubled childhood but it has very little to do with who she is as an adult. She has an incredibly positive and happy image which she maintains in the face of current celebrity pressure and a troubled past. She certainly deserves to be called a hero as she has surmounted personal obstacles and is now focused on bestowing boons to her fellow man!

3. It’s great to see somebody who can learn from a bad example and rise above a debased family situation, instead of just using it as an excuse; not to mention somebody who avoids the easy out of cynicism and works to improve the world. We need more celebrities who spend their money on starving kids rather than cocaine or uselessly enlarged mansions.

Videos like that always amaze me. One cup of crude porridge seems horrible to us, yet these kids are in such a dire situation that it’s manna to them. And yet still they can laugh and play….

4. Drew Barrymore’s ability to overcome the troubles in her life is impressive on its own, but her reaching out to feed hungry people is heroic. She knows how fortunate she is to have an acting career and to have conquered her problems, so she has set out to help others which is heroic.

5. Drew Barrymore’s heroism reminds me of Oprah Winfrey’s heroism. Both women had troubled childhoods, but were able to rise up and pull themselves out of their toxic surroundings and start anew. Both women have used their power to better the lives of the less fortunate, representing causes that are special to them and bringing about positive change. Whenever I see pictures, interviews, or commercials featuring Drew Barrymore I cannot help but notice her natural charisma, something that definitely helps her heroic status.

6. Drew Barrymore has always been one of my all-time favorite actresses. From her childhood days starring in such hits as "E.T.," to her more recent films and current appearances on makeup commercials, Drew Barrymore has always absolutely lit up the screen.

I was aware of the fact that she had a rough life growing up, but I was completely unaware of her current, vast amount of charitable contributions, not to mention the extents to which she takes them – large donations of her own money, traveling around the world and personally helping poverty-stricken children, etc. However, the one concept that really stood out to me was the fact that she openly stated that she did not regret her past because it made her who she is today. Despite her past and her many mistakes, she is still able to hold her head up high, embrace everything that she has been given, and, continue touching and making a difference in the lives of those less fortunate than her – all while holding on to that bubbly, carefree image that we have all grown to love.

7. I’ve always held Drew Barrymore in high regard for her acting prowess, but I wasn’t at all familiar with her history. I think it is very admirable how she turned her life around, and I had no idea as to how much she contributed to charity! It’s amazing that Barrymore was able to have such an important revelation so early and was able to turn her life around in such a dramatic fashion. I admire her strength and respect her generous contributions to charity. I had never thought of considering Drew Barrymore a hero – but this insight has certainly changed my mind!

8. Drew Barrymore’s story is not an uncommon one. Many child stars of today and of the past have gotten caught up in the celebrity life and suffered brutal downfalls. It’s truly tragic that Barrymore was caught up in such horrid drugs and situations at such a young age. However, for her to bounce back and become the woman she is today is inspirational since so many child celebrity screw ups never recover.

9. I think Drew Barrymore has ruined a lot of romantic comedies (Rom-Coms) for me. She has been typecast in a role that I think isnt well-suited to her personality. That role – being an actress. I think a lot of her cinematic appeal had to do with her innocence which made her a great pick for E.T. however; her lifestyle took a lot of that out of her aura and I think box-office sales have reflected that loss.

10. I think Drew Barrymore has ruined a lot of romantic comedies (Rom-Coms) for me. She has been typecast in a role that I think isnt well-suited to her personality. That role – being an actress. I think a lot of her cinematic appeal had to do with her innocence which made her a great pick for E.T. however; her lifestyle took a lot of that out of her aura and I think box-office sales have reflected that loss.

11. The story of Drew’s childhood is truly heartbreaking. Many celebrities find themselves in a rut, but not at such a young age. She grew up too fast, but she found her footing. She has completely turned her life around and has become one of my favorite actresses. She is likable, funny, and classy. I think rising up from the bottom makes her even more of a hero.

12. I think Drew Barrymore’s story illustrates perfectly the concept of redemption (which we talked about in class). Her story-though tragic-makes her all the more admirable, because she was able to rise above her troubles and not only that but to make incredible contributions to the world.

13. What is truly remarkable about Drew Barrymore is how she recovered from such a dramatic addiction to drugs and alchohol. My ignorance about her addiction shows how society has accepted her successes in response to her tainted. Furthermore, her heroism is further enhanced due to her efforts to help feed the hungry children around the world. She is a true inspiration to people everywhere, providing hope to many by being an example of conquering the “slip ups” of life and of never giving up.

14. I was very surprised to read this article.
    I do not know that drew childhood is that painful.
    So far what I heard is her success in the movie.
    Thanks for the info.

Btw,if you want healthy lifestyle tips please visit my website.

Thank you very much