Farm Fountain

Based in a system of aquaponics, the Farm Fountain presents a unique combination of art and science. It is a system that grows edible plants and fish indoors in an aesthetically pleasing and sustainable manner. The way that it works is the waste filled water from a fish tank is pumped up to the top of the structure and then filtered back down through several 2-liter bottles with edible plants growing in them. The plants then absorb the water and nutrients from the fish waste and the excess water then trickles down back into the fish tank where the process starts over again.

Some of the examples of farm fountain structures can be seen on the farm fountain website. In these examples the structures are used to grow lettuce, cilantro, mint, basil, tomatoes, chives, parsley, and many other garden herbs and vegetables. The fish tank can include fish like tilapia, which can be eaten along with the vegetables. The system offers a great way to grow your own food at home in a cool and sustainable manner. The structures can be set up to use solar power to power the grow lights so that the entire process is sustainable.

This concept applies to our course because earlier in the year we discussed the concept of virtual water and how far food travels before it reaches your plate. With the farm fountain all of your food can be grown right at home. This site gives instructions on how to build your own farm fountain and offers suggestions on what vegetables to grow.

3 thoughts on “Farm Fountain

1. This is a really advanced version of farm fountains that I have seen in peoples city apartments. People hang them on their windows or their fire escapes and are able to support their own vertical garden in a city void of land. I think bringing this concept into the main stream and to be used as art is a great idea.

These fountains are certainly statuesque and provide both intrigue and practicality. My only concern is what type of power than need to function. Sun lamps can be both expensive and draw out a great deal of electricity. On their website they have outdoor fountains. which makes far more sense and continues the idea of sustainability and recycling that they seem passionate about upholding.

2. I had never heard of this concept of farm fountains before and I think it’s an interesting way to grow your own vegetables and other garden herbs. If this were to catch on I think it would be a great future in sustainability and reducing future generations carbon footprints, for they would be growing their own vegetables, rather than buying them from the store. I do agree with the previous comment that the only glaring concern is the use of electricity.

3. I can appreciate the idea of having a system in place where I can grow my own food, know how much water I used to do it, and know that it is done in a sustainable manner. And therefore I definitely can get appreciate the efforts of aquaponds like the one’s on display in this website. However, I can’t say that I am too thrilled about shift from natural gardening to growing plants in plastic bottles (although they are being put to good use).

In my opinion, this whole thing just has a utilitarian aura to it. I don’t know if I want my children to grow up and see that we have to plant our crops this way because people have destroyed the land. I know farms and ideas like these are steps in the right direction, I just think it’s sad that we have to make these kinds of decisions.