Joe Darby: The Heroic Whistleblower of Abu Ghraib

Oops!  We had to remove the hero profile you’re looking for because it will soon appear in our new book Heroic Leadership: An Influence Taxonomy of 100 Exceptional Individuals, to be published by Routledge in 2013.

Our contract at Routledge required us to remove many of our profiles on our blog at this time.  But we do have other hero profiles and information about heroes on the menu bar located on the right side of this page.  Check it out!

In the mean time, please accept our apologies.  Here is more information about our new book.

You can click here to return to our HERO home page.  And thanks for visiting!

— Scott Allison and George Goethals

5 thoughts on “Joe Darby: The Heroic Whistleblower of Abu Ghraib

1. It’s really disgusting to me that this guy and his family have to live in protective custody at an undisclosed location. His actions merit promotion, not incarceration. If it’s one thing we need, in the armed forces of all places, it’s people of ethics and integrity. Joe Darby should be in a position of authority.

There’s no excuse for treating Human Beings like those prisoners were treated, and there’s no excuse for covering it up and there’s no excuse for vilifying the people who were humane enough to want to rectify the situation. Those who call Joe Darby a traitor are an embarrassment. They need to learn that guns and bombs don’t win wars. The only way to beat the bad guys is to be better than they are.

2. I feel sad when I read this post – sad for Joe Darby and especially sad for the army and those who threaten Darby’s life for performing such an extraordinary act of moral courage. For me, Darby has in a way safe the entire army’s reputation by showing the world that there is still a man in the army who upholds integrity and morality. Darby receives my utmost respect and admiration for exposing the wrongdoings of other American soldiers, who might be his friends, and accepting the dangers associated with his action.

3. I think that Joe Darby did the right thing by turning over the information to the authorities. So often in life people simply just go with the flow of things. Few people have the courage to stand up and go against the general population. What Joe Darby did was make people aware of what was going on, even though no one wanted to know. He shed light on the dark areas of war and let people see what really goes on. I think the reason he received such a negative reaction was that people didn’t want to know it was going on nor did they want to have to care. By bringing the situation to light, he gave everyone a rude awakening. Joe Darby was a hero and should be treated as such.

4. I admire Joe Darby’s heroism to the fullest. It is a very difficult thing to stand up against a crowd doing wrong and do what one knows is right. It is terrible that Joe and his wife have been treated so badly because Joe had the moral courage to stand up for those in need and stop something corrupt from occurring.

5. He is definitely a hero in my eyes for being so brave and risking his life to look after the lives others. I don’t think he deserved any kind of punishment, rather he should be praised and admired for his heroism.