Plate Tectonics Map

This map, provided by Geography.com is an interactive map of the major Tectonic plates of the world and how/when they are known to move. Each dropped pin states the name of the plate as well as it’s recent history.

It also designates whether or not it is a plate boundary and specifies the difference between volcanic chains, faults, and other tectonic movement/action. It also has links to informative articles on the different plate types and different fault lines around the world.

It also details the different types of boundaries (divergent, convergent, transform) and teaches about Earth’s Internal Structure.

Overall, a very useful website for those looking to better understand Plate Tectonics and how/where they affect the world.

Link: http://geology.com/plate-tectonics.shtml

3 thoughts on “Plate Tectonics Map

1. Hi Madeline,

The map information regarding plate tectonics that you presented here are very useful in educating citizens about what really goes on during an earthquake. Growing up in California, I always knew earthquakes were a constant danger, but like many in the state, we go about our lives hoping that when the big one strikes, it is not as big as many seismologists claim. This way of thinking is not only flawed but dangerous; in order to counteract it, I think becoming educated about the fault line one lives in, as well as the processes at work is useful in understanding the magnitude of the potential earthquake.

2. This website is a great educational tool for people to learn more about how tectonic plates can affect us personally. Most of us learn basic information about the existence of these plates at a young age, but I think most people lack the necessary knowledge to understand the differences between types of plates and the activity related to them. As a major natural force that affects millions every year, it is important for people to understand tectonic plates, their locations, and how they impact us.

3. Tools like these are very useful when educating about how tectonic plates work, especially for those who do not have much background knowledge. I know when I first learned about tectonic plates, interactive activities like this really helped me visualize how the plates move and how they are still moving today. As we all know, tectonic plate activity can have catastrophic effects, and it is extremely important that people are knowledgeable in this area of study.