LTER in the Everglades

Map of the Florida Coastal Everglades LTER Program Study Area

Created in 1980 through funding provided by the National Science Foundation, Long Term Ecological Research Sites are essential locations for ecological learning across the country. Growing up in Florida, I’ve always been extremely interested in the ecosystems of the Everglades. When I therefore found out about Florida Coastal Everglades long term ecological research in a place close to home, I immediately wanted to learn more- not only about what the scientists were studying and learning, but as well the impact of this knowledge on the greater geographic community. Research in the Everglades is focusing primarily on the interaction of saltwater and freshwater and the resulting ecosystems. Not only, though, do scientists study the impact of water type of Everglade ecosystems, they focus as well on the impact of changing climates and human interactions. Since it’s establishment in 2000, the LTER in the Everglades has finished its first stage of research, completed in 2006. Though phase I was primarily aimed at generating a basic understanding of the various Everglades ecosystems, phase II will focus primarily on the impact of changing freshwater chemistry on brackish water ecosystems. With an anticipated completion date of 2012, phase II of the Everglades research will provide essential information helping not only the area ecosystem, but similar ecosystems on a national scale as well. The website for this research project includes basic research information in addition to an interactive map depicting the spatial scale of research.

3 thoughts on “LTER in the Everglades

1. I live in Florida too. Your post helped me learn a lot about the everglades. The interactive map was helpful.

2. I didn’t know a lot of about the Everglades and I lived in Florida for over three years. I never know that water type had such a great impact on the ecosystem and this map really helped me understand its effects.

3. I always thought the Everglades were very beautiful but I have never been to Florida. This website really helped me learn a lot about the Everglades.