Robin Hood: The Thief Who Became a Hero

Oops!  We had to remove the hero profile you’re looking for because it appears in our book Heroic Leadership: An Influence Taxonomy of 100 Exceptional Individuals, published by Routledge in 2013.

Our contract at Routledge required us to remove many of our profiles on our blog.  But we do have other hero profiles and information about heroes on the menu bar located on the right side of this page.  Check it out!

In the mean time, please accept our apologies.

— Scott Allison and George Goethals

8 thoughts on “Robin Hood: The Thief Who Became a Hero

1. Ah, speaking of archetypes– 😀 –Robin Hood is the archetype of civil disobedience. I wonder if it’s possible to know whether the character is more popular in England or in America. It would seem to me that he should be especially appealing to Americans– after all, this country was founded by what amounts to a whole bunch of Robin Hoods. 🙂

2. Robin Hood doesn’t seem like a worthy hero to me because his good deed of giving to the poor was corrupted by his means of obtaining the money. Although he had good intentions by giving to the poor, he robbed from the wealthy which shows he holds villainous qualities as well.

3. Robin Hood can certainly be viewed as a hero by the poor, and a villain to the rich. Ultimately I feel that although Robin Hood stole to give to the poor, I believe he had good intentions and just did what he had to do. Robin Hood is a hero.

4. I agree with Joey and the idea that Robin Hood can be viewed as both a hero and villain. His antics are morally wrong but his intentions are very good. I feel that he is more a hero because he’s helping people who are in need of help. Also, in his stories the men he steals from are very arrogant and greedy, thus rightfully deserving of being robbed.

5. While the exploits of Robin Hood seem villainous on the surface (robbery is typically a crime!!), his story just goes to show that the merit of a hero is in the eye of the beholder. Almost anyone would indeed answer that he is a hero. This just further illustrates the concept that people are attracted to rebellious characters who defy authority to do what they think is right, even if it is technically not right.