Atlas of the Week

The Atlas of Redistricting: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/redistricting-maps/

Gerrymandering has become a familiar household term, and most Americans would agree that districts are unfairly drawn by both Republicans and Democrats in order to benefit their own parties. In preparation for the 2018 election, this interactive atlas has built several maps at both national and state levels with different purposes, such as drawing lines fairly to encourage competitive elections, drawing to distinctively favor either party, and drawing to benefit minorities. Although the 2018 midterms have passed, the issue of gerrymandering has not; exploring this altas can help with understanding of the complexity of the process and how much political power geography holds. 

One Response to Atlas of the Week

1. Angel-Xavier Elizondo says:

Selena, I loved this atlas, as someone who tends to follow the news regarding these issues, I appreciate the fact that you decided to share this atlas with us. The atlas was fun to explore, and I loved the different charts and data that is included within the maps presented in the atlas. Gerrymandering is a topic that really grinds my gears, but many individuals are unaware of what is essentially going on when districts are redrawn every 10 years following a US Census. The fact remains that many states’ legislatures are tasked with redrawing the districts of local and federal representatives. This leaves the notion that elected officials are essentially “picking” who will be their constituents. I realized that this notion has also come into a spotlight with the recent 2020 Census and upcoming 2022 Midterm elections. I would love to see an updated version of states’ newly redrawn districts in the atlas to see how they will influence the upcoming elections. Finally, you are absolutely right, elections come and go but Gerrymandering remains. Again, I appreciate you sharing this atlas with us, Selena.