Uncategorized

Last Response

This isn’t really a last response for me since I will continue to work with SLI for the semester.  But I have come out of the summer inspired and a little exhausted and stressed.

I can really see Kaufman’s emphasis on direct action, and his increasing frustration with policy changes and advocacy groups.  I myself am frustrated because the more I read the more things sadden me.  I watch the news every morning to give me motivation to get through the day.  These kids are so behind.  And it’s not their fault, they’ve been failed by the Richmond public school system.

A lot of the students can barely comprehend what they read.  They can’t find main points they can’t summarize because they don’t understand.  They lack a lot of background knowledge needed to comprehend readings.  They don’t know what a good GPA is, they don’t know what a good SAT score is, they don’t understand what AP classes really are or what college essays are for.  And none of it is their fault, because I can see them trying exceptionally hard to make up for these gaps but for a lot of the m they won’t be able to bridge them in time.

So throughout teaching I’ve really tried to be as positive as possible, give them as many tools as possible, really hope to make studying and academia less painful as it can be.

I have really learned a lot this summer.  As predicted.  Organizing was exceptionally difficult, everyone had different schedules and different availabilities that changed each week and each teacher needed to be shuffled so students didn’t have the same person every single time.  North Carolina was terrific, I think I’ll be able to carry these things into my work continuing on.

I have some great ideas for the rest of my research project continuing into the semester that I hope to capitalize now that I’ve become a expert in immigration policy.