Final Thoughts from Palos Verdes Estates

That’s it. I’m all done here with PV Estates and I don’t really know what to think right now!

We’ll start with last night’s Planning Commission meeting. It went superbly and there was no ruckus from the audience. Both projects were conditionally approved by the Planning Commission and I delivered my presentation for 421 Via Media without skipping a beat. I’ll link to the video once they have it on the City website. [UPDATE: LINK go to approximatey 1 hr 32 min mark] After heavy debate by the Commissioners, they agreed that the applicant had made significant concessions over the two years of review and that the project was satisfactory. Some neighbors were displeased, but personally, I felt that the project was reasonable in its massing and height, and that the applicant should have the most influence on the design of his home. After the meeting ended, Commissioner Criley told me that I made an excellent delivery, as did the City Attorney. This morning, my supervisor Ken Rukavina congratulated me and told me I appeared very calm when speaking. I’m feeling really good about my delivery and I’m incredibly grateful to the City for the opportunity to try this sort of public speaking.

Perhaps the most gratifying result of the meeting was the phone call I received just a few minutes ago from the owner of 421. I’ve met with Wade several times over the course of my two months here, and reviewing his project has been central to my understanding of the planning process. In many ways I feel like I know Wade on a personal level. He called me this morning to thank me for working on his project and doing it justice at the final presentation. I’m honestly glowing right now because I feel like I directly contributed to helping an esteemed community member being able to construct their dream home.

It’s hard to leave the City. I’ve made a lot of friends in the office and they have all approached me several times today expressing their regret that I am departing. In fact, the City Manager visited me this morning and told me that he would help me secure any recommendations I need in the future, and that they would give me a job offer if the Planning Department was still in need by the time I graduate. I’m a little speechless today for this reason. I never, ever expected to get this much out of an internship and I’m genuinely going to be sad when I drive out of the parking lot today. Working for the City has taught me attention to detail, respect for the planning process, professional levels of address during community meetings, and how to keep cool when citizens become confrontational. I want a job like this after school, I am certain of that.

Goodbye Palos Verdes! I hope I’ll be back in May.