Hurricane and Tropical Storm Tracker-Weather Underground

Weather Underground (https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2016/Invest-90L?map=model), a weather forecasting website, has many different options for tracking weather systems around the world. The platform that stood out most to me was a global map that tracks hurricanes, tropical cyclones, and all active tropical storm advisories. This global map shows areas of low pressure and global sea surface temperatures. There is also satellite imagery and details of the specific storm activity in the North Atlantic, East Pacific, Western Pacific, Central Pacific, and Indian Ocean.

The most interesting part of Weather Underground is the archive that they have of past hurricanes and tropical storms. All previous storms year by year are listed and the maximum winds and minimum pressure are listed. For all previous storms you are also able to track them on a map of the ocean they occurred in.

Below is a picture of the active tropical storm advisories for Sunday, November 20th. We are able to see one low pressure area around South America.

Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 2.06.58 PM

4 thoughts on “Hurricane and Tropical Storm Tracker-Weather Underground

1. I found this website really interesting and a good source of data to observe trends over time with the Hurricane Archive section. It is interesting to observe how the damages done by hurricanes in USD has steadily increased since the 1900s. Could this be a result of climate change and the increased overall energy abundance on our planet that has lead to intensified hurricanes over time? More research could definitely be done to answer these questions using this data.

2. This is a very useful resource, Kyra. I like how it shows the paths of the hurricane. It is interesting to see the locations that seem to always be in the direct path of natural disasters. In addition to archives, the site provides storm advisories which is an extremely useful tool for planning when a storm is coming towards your area.

3. I think this website is very resourceful especially during hurricane season, something that would have been useful in October with hurricane Mathew. I also think it’s that you can look at the past storms, because as a Floridian, I have experienced a lot of hurricanes and tropical storms, so it’s cool to be able to go back and look at these storms. This website can also help us study the past weather patterns to see if maybe the hurricane seasons have been slightly altered over the years such as whether hurricanes have been arriving earlier or later than the typical season.

4. This website is very interesting because you can track the exact coordinates of all of the storms and look back at what storms have occurred in the past. By being able to compare maps year by year, you can see if there have been any trends and might be able to predict how hurricane seasons may be like in the future.