Obama vs. Climate Change

Earlier this month, the White House announced the establishment of a new website, climate.data.gov, created to educate Americans about climate change and its widespread detrimental impacts. It was created under the supervision of John D. Podesta, President Obama’s counselor, and John P. Holdren, the White House’s science advisor.

The goal of this website is to inform the public about the importance of climate change problems and to increase awareness. The ability to bring the relevance of such environmental problems to a local scale will hopefully make the concept of climate change more applicable to the individual. In its “pilot” stage, the website will include topics related to coastal flooding and sea level rise, along with the past and potential impacts of these phenomenas. This webpage is planning to expand these topics to include additional climate-related impacts, such as human health, energy supply, and energy infrastructure.

The website provides the tools, data, and information that can eventually be converted into software stimulations by research and private companies. Companies who plan to use this newly available climate data include Google and Esri. This web page will include numerous digital and interactive maps in order to present the data in an engaging and informative manner. For example, the site includes post-Sandy maps for New York and New Jersey that show how the floodplain will change if sea levels rise to certain levels.

This webpage has the potential to help make predictions, raise awareness, and manage risks regarding climate change. As the engineering manager of Google earth puts it, “what if we could make information about sea-level rise, extreme heat and drought as simple to digest and interactive as sung Google Maps to get directions?” This site has the potential to bring us a step closer to that.

3 thoughts on “Obama vs. Climate Change

1. This is great- How did you find this site? I think it’s something that way more Americans should know about when making decisions about climate change and their actions.
    The maps are also just really interesting, and I wonder how useful this site will turn out to be for GIS students. I didn’t try it, but can you download data from this website to ArcMap?

2. This website makes climate data easy to understand and access. For projects in my classes where we need to use data, this website seems really useful. Also, if companies like Google, could use this data to help the general public understand climate change, I believe many people would be impacted. This is definitely a step in the right direction. I agree.

3. I think this is a pretty incredible website as well, and the fact that you can very easily punch in your address and find various types of climate data on that area is something I haven’t seen before. It’s also very encouraging that this was created by the Obama administration instead of an environmental agency such as the EPA. I think this shows that policitians are beginning to understand the severity of climate change, and are attempting to inform as many people as possible.