Immunity vs. Reality

By Nina Joss

March 25

Someone I know just posted on Facebook that her relative has COVID-19 and has a 5% survival estimate, asking for prayers. That is not even close to me, but suddenly it’s real. If he dies, it will be from this. This that is making us stay home, this that some aren’t taking seriously. I can see how there could be resentment—from those with loved ones dying, towards those not taking this seriously, still going out.
This could also separate us. Because even if it’s just people who are old and immunocompromised, it’s too soon, it’s uncalled for, it’s not fair. I don’t think we really realize that until it’s us. We think we’re immune. We are not immune.

March 29

When I see the body being carried into a refrigeration truck on the news. The faces of people dying. It’s hard to connect emotionally with the numbers. But 250 people died in NYC today, one dying every 6 minutes. It really is terrible. People are dying who shouldn’t die.

April 4

Article in NYTimes about COVID-19 labor strikes, ends with a quote from a man named Scott Ryan, 41. And then a sentence saying that he, a father of three, died on Friday from COVID-19.

This is actually really killing people, no warning. It’s hard for that to sink in when kids are writing chalk in the street and I’m baking with my family. But frick, this is real. And serious. And sad. If one of my parents died from this, I can’t even imagine. I would be so mad at everyone not taking this seriously. It hits me once in a while how real this is. Real people, real dying.

In one week, March 15-31, 3.3 million people filed for unemployment. They say the unemployment rate might rise to 30% in the second quarter of 2020. And so many are losing health insurance. This is really screwing a LOT of people over. Even when it’s over, a lot of people will be screwed.