The Finale

Alright, so pretty much I want to blow my brains out for multiple reasons, some good, some bad. The running into the snow, going through the insane ward, seeing New York burning, killing Comstock, all trippy and difficult to achieve, but simple in comparison to later parts of the game. The boss fight with the vox zeppelins firing rockets at my ship was painful to the highest level. It was a struggle the entire time to not only stay alive myself but pick off the different Vox and Lincolns they sent, as well as control the Song Bird to strike down the zeppelins as well. I really wished the load time for the Song Bird was shorter because that would have made life a lot easier. I also felt kinda sad that we had to drown the Song Bird in the end, like come on, he is the coolest pet that anyone could ever ask for. Anyways, I wanted to blow my brains out for this next part because of how trippy it gets. I loved the rapture reference, saying that this is where it all begins, that was an awesome tie back. Then to use all the lighthouses as separate doors that kept opening up more and more doors, mind blown. But when you find out the true story behind Elizabeth and where she came from, Booker and how he actually paid off his debt, and who Comstock is, AHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I don’t know any other way to explain it. The ending is one where you somehow feel satisfied and yet thousands of questions still rattle around in your head. Like, why does killing this Booker specifically at this site of his baptism kill all Comstocks? Because if there were truly infinite universes, then there would be one where Booker refused to die and Comstock is therefore born. It is a mind trip. Also, if you destroy Comstock, then an infinite amount of Universes become paradoxes. What happens to these dimensions? My brain is just frazzled trying to figure it all out, but playing the game was definitely worth it for the storyline, even if the actual gameplay was repetitive and boring at times.

5 Responses

1. Carson Clark says:

yeah so there really is no explanation for how killing this particular Booker ends the cycle. Especially with the whole infinite universe theory at play, it makes it even more pointless. The boss battle against the Vox was by far the most grueling and annoying part of the game. Wave after wave after wave after wave and Songbird couldn’t do jack because he has to “rest” in between destroying ships. aside from that, the story completely screwed with my mind. yes it cleared some things up, but this only promotes infinite more questions.

2. Joseph Sterling says:

The ending is not consistent with the rest of the game at all. It offers no explanation to defend itself either. I don’t know if the DLC makes it seem better, but the game as-is has a lack-luster ending at best. And if I have to hear “Booker! Patriots!” one more time, I will snap. The worst part of the game, easily.

3. Ahsan Ahmad says:

I swear the final airship battle was so annoying. I also had the same problem with the ending. They don’t offer explanation for what happens to the universes that just entered paradox mode because their loops have been broken, nor do they explain why it’s not possible for a world to exist where Comstock lives out anyway since the Elizabeths only stopped one world’s Booker. Kinda lackluster writing but I guess they did as good as they could.

4. Hyewon Hong says:

I absolutely hated the airship battle, probably because it switched from us being an offensive stand point to a purely defensive one without any real buildup previously. They just kinda said here you can use songbird to protect things. To be fair most of your ending questions delve into high level theoretical physics so it makes sense that our brains get a little fried by considering the ramifications of the UNIVERSE and its creation.

5. Wogan Snyder says:

I share your pain. I am still struggling to grasp the multi-layered timeline of Bioshock Infinite that to me is reminiscent of the “Upside Down” from Stranger Things. Personally, I was huge fan of the references to the earlier Bioshock games and how they tied in to the game’s model of the infinite universes and possibilities in each lighthouse; this doesn’t make it any less confusing however.