Bioshock

As I continue venturing on in the world of Bioshock, I am more and more intrigued by the storyline behind the game. Resisting the urge to search it up on google and read into all the details, the creators of this game make it interesting by only letting the player know one piece of information at a time. Elizabeth’s character, in particular, intrigues me. The game has now given us slight clues on who she is/ who is related too, but far from a definite answer. Trying to pick up on every hint and minor detail is surely difficult which is why I personally benefit from the class discussions. For example, the AD written on Booker’s hand would’ve gone right over my head. I would’ve never known this stood for Anna Dewitt or made the connection of why he had something written on his hand. In my opinion, when games incorporate sly details and deeper meanings they gave us another reason to play again.

One thing that I have taken note of is as I’ve advanced is Booker seeks the help of Elizabeth more and more. At first, he came across as hesitant to using her skills and was harsh when she made commentary. Which I have to admit, I was too. I was nervous for Elizabeth to travel alongside Booker. Her remarks at times seemed unnecessary, and I was unsure if she would be helpful or just annoying. But as the game has gone on I think Elizabeth’s abilities have now become useful to Booker. I personally like how the creators made Elizabeth’s skills vary from Bookers. For example tears, the use of these have made having her around seem imperative. Although that’s not to say Booker is particularly nice to her. When Elizabeth tries to ask Booker why he has come here, he is rather demeaning when he speak of his debt and rude when he admits he didn’t just capture her for charity. We find out more of the dynamic of their relationship when Elizabeth realizes Booker isn’t taking her to Paris but rather to New York in exchange to get rid of his own debt. This point of the story changed my opinion on Booker.

4 Responses

1. Carson Clark says:

It’s not surprising that a gambling man, like Booker, will do anything pay away his debts. Nor that someone would want Elizabeth for their own personal gains. Her ability to open tears helps in many combat situations and for ammo, aid, and support. I also appreciate the money she throws the player at times as I quickly run out because of upgrading my weapons and vigors. Others may find her annoying, but to me she is vital.

2. Jeremy Mednik says:

I am wondering questioning how Booker and Elizabeth will react to joining forces from the rest of this game. They both have such different personalities, so it makes me think they will have some different ideas on how to solve problems. Elizabeth does not necessarily agree with all of Booker’s actions so I think it would be interesting to see how they get along in the future and if she will start developing some of Booker’s traits (i.e. violence is sometimes necessary).

• Josephine Bossidy says:

As I look back to these comments, it’s funny how we were all so confused about the plot. Now that we know that Booker and Elizabeth are related, our perspective on them is so different.

3. Alexander Clinton says:

I do agree that I thought it was weird that Booker was willing to pay off his debt by giving Elizabeth away. I’d like to understand why he didn’t back out of it. I know Booker says that he is a bad person for doing it, but he still did it. It really makes me question Booker, but makes me want to learn more about Booker. I think that the game has so much left to explain and should be very interesting to finish.