Bioshock Inf. Finkton Docks-Piano Scene (Micaela)

So, we have finally walked through a tear. A good idea? NO, absolutely NOT. I tried to not walk through the tear. When Elizabeth would say (multiple times) “Booker are you sure? There may be no going back.” I would reply with “Actually no, I am vehemently against this idea.” But of course, I had to press square and do it anyway to progress because that is what Booker wanted (this happened more than once). Booker… why? What even is the POINT of getting these weapons if you can go through dimensions. The Daisy in the other dimension/universe/realm/whatever didn’t even need the weapons! The plan was kind of ridiculous in my eyes. If you want an airship so bad, just make a tear in front of one and have it fly into your realm. Done.

But back to this new universe, specifically the Dewitt-Martyr one. I kind of liked it (at first)! It was nice to have Dewitt suddenly recognized for being the badass killer that he is (by people who aren’t trying to kill him). The Dewitt! Dewitt! Dewitt! chant really got me excited because, yeah, we did take down an airship single-handedly and, yeah, it was really cool. Also, fighting with allies was nice, even if they barely managed to kill enemies. The downside of allies: my murder of crows did not discriminate and killed enemies and allies alike. So, I was constantly barraged with “Don’t damage your allies!” “An ally is angered!” Well, if I wasn’t supposed to damage them, why give me the option? That was the first sign that things were going to go wrong/get worse.

Onto Elizabeth: she killed Daisy! I honestly did not see that coming, and I did not think she would result to that (with scissors of all things). But she did it, she killed someone, and now she’s emo, short-haired, and a little sexy (the dress, I mean like, come on. That was all she had? Sure, honey.)… Which is fine I guess. I’m keeping an eye on her necklace though, in a world like the one they are in now, there’s probably an Elizabeth who’s had to kill someone too. Maybe multiple someones. Still waiting for that “Scared of god/scared of you” convo from the beginning to get a tie back.

4 Responses

1. James Bachmann says:

This so far has been the most entertaining post. Yes, this game has plenty a holes when it comes to plot and why Elizabeth and Booker do what they do. Like, isn’t the city over the United States currently? So, why not steal any blimp, literally any one would suffice, fly down ,and then take a train to New York. The BS of needing this one blimp specifically and needing to head to New York directly is annoying. But hey, they had to make a game somehow, so that is probably the answer to why Booker does anything he does, its so we can play the game.

2. Josephine Bossidy says:

Your post in my opinion is quite valid. It occurred to me as well that they’re was definitely easier ways to accomplish these missions. But what would BioShock be if we didn’t walk through a tear? Plus, I felt like this was a big moment for Elizabeth. This was her time to shine. Although Booker had taken ammo and money from Elizabeth, in this scene her skills really become essential.

3. Joseph Sterling says:

I too have many questions regarding the trip through the tear. Yes, Booker and Elizabeth need the weapons to trade to Daisy to get the airship to get away from Columbia, but once they have the option to go into a different universe, WHY NOT JUST GO TO ONE WHERE BOOKER DIDN’T GAMBLE HIMSELF INTO THIS MESS? That’s not even mentioning the “memories” of other dimensions, which I will be ranting about in class. The fact that the existing annoys me, but the inconsistency annoys me more: everyone else is a shambling mess that can barely mumble, whereas Booker isn’t affected at all.

4. Wogan Snyder says:

I too was shocked by Elizabeth’s killing of Daisy Fitzroy and her following transformation. Up to this point, Elizabeth has been relatively averse towards violence but when she needed to she did not hesitate to commit an especially brutal act of violence. As for her transformation, I think it represents a larger moment of a loss of innocence/maturing.