Reality is Broken Chapters 9-10

In chapters 9 and 10 of Reality is Broken, McGonigal argues that alternate reality games can create communities and make individuals happier. She describes how new communities can be made out of alternate reality games using three examples: Comfort of Strangers, Ghosts of a Chance, and Bounce. Out of the three, I think that Bounce had the most effective method of creating a community between elders and others younger than them. I never realized the extent of the bias against elders from younger generations, and I think Bounce has a really positive goal behind it: to bridge the generation gap between people of different ages. Based on my experiences with elders, I know that interacting with others is really comforting for them, and it’s important that individuals in younger generations have solid relationships with those in older generations. While I think that Bounce has a really positive goal, I think the main challenge with each of these virtual reality games would be the lack of participation in the games. Even if some of these games can help people feel connected with a community, for the games to be truly effective, they would need to have a sufficient number of players, which I don’t think is entirely attainable.

In chapter 10, McGonigal argues that it is difficult for people to mend their unhappiness on their own. She suggests that “happiness hacking” in order to experience the benefits of positive psychology consists of making life easier with a collective community. She provides examples of alternate reality games that are meant to make people happier, which involve complimenting strangers, playing poker in a cemetery, and dancing without moving your feet. These games are based on psychological research that making others smile, thinking about death, and dancing all help individuals feel more positive. I would say that each of these factors are effective in making people happier. I try to go out of my way to smile at people I don’t know when I’m walking down hallways or streets because if I see them smile back, it makes me feel good. Overall, I think that these sorts of positive actions are beneficial, but I’m not entirely sure how they relate to changing the world. McGonigal argues that alternate reality games can improve people (make them happier, more creative, etc.) which will in turn help them improve the world. I’m curious to see what evidence McGonigal provides to support this point.

Although I’m not exactly sure how to relate the Oregon Trail to McGonigal’s points about playing games with strangers and happiness hacking, I had a lot of fun playing the game. When playing the game, my main objective was to complete the trail regardless of how many points I would end up with, so I took the easiest route by traveling to Oregon as a banker. Because I started off with more money, I was able to maintain sufficient resources to help me complete the trail with most of my passengers at fair health. What I liked most about the game was the random challenges that came up over the course of the game, such as robberies, random illnesses/injuries, and random breaks in the wagon. The challenges force you to figure out your priorities fast and make sacrifices based on what resources you have. For example, when you have a shortage of food, you either have to sacrifice the health of your passengers or sacrifice your other resources in order to successfully complete the trail. If I were to play the Oregon Trail again, I would try to score as many points as possible rather than just simply trying to complete the trail to make the game more challenging.

5 Responses

1. Micaela Willoughby says:

I had the same thought! I thought the notion of Bounce was pretty brilliant and a good idea. I hadn’t even thought of the social gap that exists there, and saddened by it. Although, after reading about Bounce, I had to wonder… What’s the appeal? Why would people play Bounce rather than their favorite RPG or FPS? What would give people the desire to play these games?

2. Rachel Helbling says:

I found the idea of happiness hacking in chapter 10 very interesting. I really liked happiness hack #1 which was about unlocking the kindness of strangers. I liked your comment about always trying to smile at people when waking down the street and I try to do that too, I think it can brighten everyones day. When interacting with strangers, you never know what they are going through and you dont know what kind of impact you could have on their lives. Also in this chapter I really liked reading about the game Cruel 2 B kind, ive never heard of it before and thought it was really cool.

3. Hyewon Hong says:

I really enjoyed her three examples and find myself most drawn to bounce and comfort of strangers because they are so easily understandable and are designed to encourage the growth of communities. In response to Micaela’s comment, I think the appeal in bounce is for the ease of access. There is no stigma attached to bounce, and the game itself is not displeasing like some other games that have developed. One example of such a game is Undertale, by all rights an amazing game with a wonderful storyline, but possessing of an atrociously toxic fan base which turns off many new players to the game.

4. James Bachmann says:

Even though bounce sounds wonderful in its ability to reconnect the old with the young, I personally feel that face to face interaction is always more satisfying than through a medium, such as the vr headset. More often than nought, people go online to be something they are not and that is a good escape for them, but on the other hand, for the people who are interacting with them, they are learning about a lie. So, even though it may improve happiness, in my mind it is false happiness.

5. Joseph Sterling says:

I too, believe that Bounce is a very nice concept and I like how it was executed. The only real problem is for people, like me, who spend a large amount of time on the internet, there can only be so much of a connection between people who grew up working in there grandfather’s shop and those who know an unnecessary amount of Pokemon trivia.

To the point about how can “happiness hacking” influence the real world, it comes down to the people in the world. By making people happier, and more likely to trust one another, actual changes can be made.

As for Oregon trail … I hate RnG.