Reality is Broken Chapters 7+8 (Jaclyn)

In chapters seven and eight, McGonigal discusses the benefits of alternate reality games and provides examples for how they can improve reality. An alternate reality game is an antiescapist game, meaning that the game helps a person get more out of his or her life through optional participation, “compelling goals, interesting obstacles, and well-designed feedback systems” (McGonigal 126). She opens her discussion with a description of her experience playing Chore Wars, a game designed to motivate people to complete chores by making tasks competitive and rewarding. To me, the most interesting example that McGonigal discusses is the Quest to Learn school in New York City. The school is designed to help this generation of children, who have grown up with advanced games and technology, become more engaged in classrooms. In order to do so, the school makes education more game-like through quests, leveling up, and boss levels, as opposed to assignments, letter grades, and midterms and finals. The key concept behind the education is motivating kids to learn by working hard and completing quests to improve their skill in an area and eventually level up once they have successful learned the subject. Personally, I think this school is innovative and probably quite effective in educating kids. I think a major flaw in the general education system is that students are defined by their letter grades and standardized test scores, which are not always good representations of how well a student understands something. Quest to Learn recognizes this and makes it possible for students to be successful in school through their work ethic and actual understanding of a subject.

McGonigal continues to explain how alternate reality games work. Essentially, alternate reality games provide positive feedback, social connectivity, and motivation in people’s every day life through intrinsic reward systems. They encourage people to live in the moment and enjoy the moment, like how Jetset distracts people from the stressful nature of an airport through a virtual airport experience where they can actually be productive. While I think McGonigal’s claim that “reality is pointless and unrewarding” (148) is a bit harsh, I agree with her idea that feedback is the key to intrinsic motivation. Technology is making it easier and easier to get feedback on every day tasks or goals. I find that there is an iPhone app that tracks nearly every objective, from exercising to sleeping to eating better to being more productive. Nike+ is an example of a virtual system that helps users gain the health benefits of running and the mental benefits of productivity and accomplishment by providing effective feedback.

A key point that McGonigal mentions is that we have to be careful about where we implement feedback systems in our lives. Not everything in our lives can be based around positive feedback because we will lose the ability to enjoy activities simply for pleasure. I’m glad McGonigal is recognizing that we can’t turn every aspect of life into a game, namely because reality is in fact not a game. We can’t rely on quests and achievement points to make every part of our lives enjoyable. I think McGonigal is right that some of the theory behind alternate reality games could be effective in improving our lives, but they should be used cautiously and sparingly.

5 Responses

1. Joseph Sterling says:

I agree with you that our educational system is flawed (and has taught me a habit that I have to break in college). Students are being taught in a way that puts emphasis on just knowing what the test expects them to do, not actually learning the materials. As Neil deGrasse Tyson put it, “When Students cheat on exams it’s because our School System values grades more than Students value learning.” This, along with the focus on negative feedback that schools implement (i.e. having just one bad grade can undermine a student’s entire grade for the marking period), makes the goal of students actually learning the material (and being able to make mistakes along the way) all but impossible.
    McGonigal’s point about how ARG’s can only enforce positive feeling about an activity (like running) but not create them, was very interesting. Even the game about chores didn’t create new feeling about chores, it placed a competition on top of it, thus changing the way that chores are thought of. So, in order to truly embrace the positive reinforcement of ARG’s we, as a society, have to change how we look at certain tasks; we have to make the positive feelings, and then enhance them with ARG’s.

(or just make robots that do the work for us, which, given people’s propensity to not get along, may be easier to implement)

2. Josephine Bossidy says:

Although I do agree with your perspective on the Quest to Learn, that schools need to be more interactive than just reading textbooks, I think this isn’t a method that all schools can thrive off of. In my opinion, a game to begin class is fun, it’s a good way to get everyone paying attention and participating. At the same time sometimes these games can get out of hand. I can remember in high school the first time teachers started implementing the game Kahoot into their lesson plans. For some teachers, it was successful, an enjoyable way to test students knowledge. But for others 20 minutes was wasted on kids joking around with fake users, exiting out of the game on purpose, and randomly choosing answers.

3. Rachel Helbling says:

I agree with your points about Quest to learn. I think a school like this is very innovative and could be a great idea. However, I don’t think this should be implemented into every school as it may not be right for every kid. But for certain kids I think this could really help and make school and education better. I would be really interested to go to this school for a day just to see what it is like and how different it is from my school. Additionally, I agree with the points you bring up in your last paragraph about limiting the use of game. I think it is important that this is stressed, people need to be able to do things because we genuinely want to not because we will get achievements.

4. Hyewon Hong says:

I actually disagree that a Quest to Learn would be a good idea as personally, I wouldn’t really enjoy that type of learning. While its great to improve our education system, (and believe me I know, I lived in Arizona), I personally don’t think something like Quest to Learn is the objective. Something like the world in ready player one migt be an answer though, as the way the world there sets up the education system seems amazing. Rather than making it fun for the student, they make it more fun for the teacher, giving the teacher the ability to transform their classroom into whatever they want, transport their students anywhere in the universe, and generally be a magic school bus; all thanks to the powers of Virtual Reality. Too many achievements for kids will lead to them being meaningless, and eventually we would reach the same problem after 12 years of education. Elitists would form, some students wouldn’t try regardless, and I feel like it would just raise other problems that our current system doesn’t have.

5. Ahsan Ahmad says:

While McGonigal did review the school Quest To Learn with starry eyes, I am still curious to learn how the students/graduates of that school measure up against those from traditional schools. While a gamified school sounds like all the hype in the world, it still wouldn’t be an optimal solution if it is inefficient. I will still concede that it sounds like a fun school experience though because it is based off of video-game traits: clear goals, achievements, interactive feedback systems. Ideally, however, you would want the option to have both kinds of schools. Even with a fun, gamified school experience, some children would still struggle as no one size fits all.