Reality Is Broken 6 ( Shanay )

In chapter 6 of Reality is broken, Jane McGonigal daily focuses on the video game Halo 3, which was released in 2009. During that period I wasn’t allowed to play shooter games, so I never got into the Halo series especially since during my time halo was falling off after the introduction of Halo 5. McGonigal talked about how Halo 3 had a community-driven approach to reach a collective milestone, getting 10 billion kills against an evil force called the covenant. She talks about how games and gaming can bring to gather so many people in the gaming community to reach one common goal. Even though the halo campaign is a single player game, it still brought people together through people discussing In forums and wikis. She talked about how when gamers think they are saving the world they are more engrossed in defending their home it gets them hooked. Halo 3 used gamers context to share players experiences and made it a duty. Anything a player does for the duty would help the community reach that mark. I think that gaming is definitely community driven, from first-person shooter campaigns to Minecraft. Most games have the ability to play and connect with other gamers, and even single players you can create goals for the campaign like the players did in halo 3. I think that this is the great thing about games in general, it can build communities.

Slightly later in the chapter, McGonigal discussed “epic” games where “reality is trivial and that the game makes us part of something bigger and give epic meaning to our actions.” McGonigal also talks about how epic games create incredible playing fields that immerse players into the game by creating curiosity and wonder. Epic games also have collective stories that help us work towards a bigger mission. I think these quality in games create something big for everyone and can engage with the community. Finally, McGonigal told us that there is an underlying effect to what gives us happiness, not just in games, but doing something to help the community. I personally like playing epic games which engage me with the community of gamers around me, but I’m curious to see about everyone else.

One Response

1. Wogan Snyder says:

I agree with your assessment of the power of community-based action in games. Not just do they encourage play and provide new content for players, but a sense of community is also extracted from such experiences. This applies for single player community events and multiplayer interactions alike. Just because words aren’t being exchanged doesn’t mean a connection isn’t occurring.