Justice & Liberty

By Nina Joss

April 22

This crisis really shows the inequalities—those which are always there. But they are so much more obvious now. It’s exhausting to think so much about all the problems happening right now. Especially overwhelming because they’re not only happening right now, we’re just seeing it more now.

March 22

Can democracy work in a crisis? In a global pandemic, can liberty be effective to curb it?
I’ve been mulling over this question lately as we see how different countries are dealing with the pandemic. The difference between China’s strict restrictions and protocols and how some South American countries are placing state-enforced curfews (which I have all sorts of feelings about), whereas the US has these “guidelines.” People here still do whatever suits us, and that opens all of our response, both as individuals and as a state, up to debate.

I hear people saying things about these guidelines being “too strict” and that the government would “be crazy” to place any harsher restrictions. But in some countries, harsh legal restrictions are almost expected when a crisis like this hits.

If the job of a government is to keep the people safe, then should our right to liberty be prioritized over our right to life and safety? I guess it’s not that black and white—because who knows which rules will really protect life and which won’t. But I just think it is interesting how entitled (not necessarily with a negative connotation) we are to our freedoms.

In cases like this, are our freedoms still the most important thing?

And the way we think about those freedoms is pretty skewed. My friends in Italy and Spain right now would be laughing their asses off if they heard people saying our restrictions are too harsh.