Gaze ArcGIS StoryMap – Mary Beatty

No Comments on Gaze ArcGIS StoryMap – Mary Beatty

My StoryMap revolves around the keyword gaze and its cultural influence. I chose gaze because as one of the convergence keywords, I was able to demonstrate the intersection of many facets of identity. From the chapter, I looked more into Laura Mulvey’s definition of Male Gaze and how that’s been expanded upon to include the portrayal of sexuality and race as well as other characteristics of the self on the screen. I included examples of media types such as films, but also photography and animation and their influence on the younger audiences. Ultimately, I learned that we have not come very far from Laura Mulvey’s understanding of gaze and used technology in more advanced ways to perpetuate prejudice and discrimination. However, that is not to say that there has not been any progress. I was optimistic in the wealth of scholarly sources and news media op-eds out there discussing this issue and ways to solve it. I was particularly disgusted by the pervasiveness of headless women in movie covers that can be seen in my StoryMap. I hope to learn about what surprised all of you! Thank you for a wonderful semester!

Link: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/5aef639ce3bf44ebb5bbedf22f7b6318