A Five Week Old Environmentalist

Five weeks ago, I was beginning my second year at the University of Richmond, I knew nothing about the James River. I functioned as a student for a whole year without giving any regard to the waters flowing around me. I had an appreciation for the Westhampton Lake but never asked myself what role it played in the environment or if it connected to anything outside of campus. The lake seemed as though it existed only for my enjoyment. The freshly birthed environmentalist living in my brain has changed my way of thinking. I believe that living at the University of Richmond without understanding waterways such as the James River, is like living with closed eyes. The more I experience, the easier it is to understand the place I live.

Visiting parks and exploring nature have been my favorite parts of my Earth Lodge experience. Each time I visit a James River park, I understand more about the James and the habitats it creates.  Excursions to Pony Pasture, the Wetlands, Belle Isle, Maymont and other little pockets of nature bring new meaning to the city of Richmond. Exploration broadens my horizon as I familiarize myself with new areas. Our recent visit to the Wetlands reminded me of the mountains around Lake Tahoe which made me realize that areas around the country are connected in this way. I am able to have two similar experiences on two opposite edges of the continent.

My life has always been connected to water habitats. My hometown is named after the small creek that runs underneath Main Street. I played in the creek after T-ball games or walked down after school and waded through the creek. The creeks and rivers at home do not compare to the mighty James but my upbringing gave me an appreciation for nature. The Geography of the James River Watershed class gives me an intensive appreciation for nature by combining education and experience. The kayaking trip down the James allowed me to absorb the surroundings. I had never been on a moving body of water with trees whose roots grew twisted into the bank and with leaves that end at the sky. The riparian zone is thick and the forests allow no visibility which creates a sense of seclusion. This forces undivided attention onto the characteristics and wildlife of the James. I remember observing blue dragonflies scraping the water around me and huge birds flying above me. There were rocks just below the water surface that had green vegetation which flowed with the water. I learned about the myriad of wildlife that lurk underneath the water at the Maymont Nature Center. Huge and menacing prehistoric looking creatures slide by each other underneath the rippling waters. Marveling at the wonders of the James creates a feeling of a wild and genuinely natural experience.

We have learned that the James is not as natural as it had been in the past. The roaring and untamed James faced the challenges of industrialization by having to bend and change to the needs of civilization. Dams and canals have domesticated the wild James. The harmful practices of the past have had adverse effects on the ecosystem such as high levels of pollution and the disruption of local wildlife. Recently, there have been strives made to correct the past abuse of the James. The dams created a migration disruption for the shad but the installation of fish ladders and breaks in the dam allow for the shad to bypass dams and travel further upriver. I feel that industry and development can be correctly executed in order for habitats and waterways to be respected. Nature does not have to be sacrificed for the sake of progress, there is a definite balance.

Using the University of Richmond as a focus area often helps me understand the relationship between civilization and nature. Using the Little Westham Creek watershed I gain first-hand and everyday experience involving the relationship between water and an increase in population. A higher demand for resources leads to an increasing amount of manipulation to waterways. Riparian zones and wetlands are disregarded as the University develops. Beatification takes primary concern to conservation. Resulting developments such as the University and the golf course plague the waterways with nonpoint pollution. These developments manipulate the environment with a focus on economic benefits rather than sustainability.

We have learned the importance of vegetation and its role in preserving freshwater. Riparian zones and other plants absorb and filter harmful materials before they reach waterways. Impermeable surfaces such as concrete and asphalt allow toxic substances to flow directly into waterways. There are development practices that can prevent the pollution of rivers and creeks. For example, respecting the riparian zones involves analyzing the local ecosystem in order to determine the proper length of the riparian zone. The correct amount of riparian zone can create a sustainable ecosystem with cleaner water and an adequate habitat for a diversity of animal species. Also, planting water thirsty plants in areas surrounding water provide filters for minerals and pollutants flowing off nearby impervious surfaces. These examples are a few development practices to take into account that prioritize sustainability for freshwater systems.

Sustaining water is important because water connects everything. The human experience is inevitably connected to water. It is easy to compare my new experiences with the James River to my past experiences with every other river. Whenever water is discussed, everyone has their own experience with waterways. On our kayaking trip, we were all asked if we had experience with a kayak. Everyone confirmed their kayaking experience with confidently raised hands. None of us had kayaked in the same place before but we shared a connection through our general experience with water.

I am optimistic about the future of this course based on all the interesting aspects of the James I have already learned. I cannot wait to share new experiences on the mighty James River and discover more of its marveling wonders.

This entry was posted in Synthesis. Bookmark the permalink.