James River Parks and Recreation

Our guest speaker in class on Wednesday, Ikal Angelei, asked us, “What is your focus area?” We answered with a chorus of mumbling which led to the consensus that our main focus included the University of Richmond and the Richmond section of the James River. In order to understand my “focus area” I use the James River Park system.

Excursions to Pony Pasture and Belle Isle opened my eyes to the wonders the James River has to offer. I strongly believe that this system of managed public parks is a necessity to create a symbiotic relationship between the city and the river. Their existence emphasizes the importance of the river habitats and their place within the Richmond area.

The Brown Isle and Belle Isle are excellent examples of the relationship between the city and nature.

Our class trip on Saturday began on Brown Isle. The idea of this park is peculiar, there are no swing sets, baseball fields, or play sets. Brown Isle is a mixture of concrete and grass, flanked by the James River and the Haxall Canal. We experienced the raw and wild nature of the James River from a comfortable vantage point, accompanied by Segways and porta potties. I did not feel as though I was in nature. Compared to Pony Pasture, where I was surrounded by thick vegetation, Brown Isle felt as though I resided within the city.

We visited a few small riparian zones between Brown Isle and Belle Isle. One zone we visited was small and made up of natural growth which provides a weak buffer between the James River and the large amounts of nonpoint pollution generated within the endless number of parking lots surrounding Brown and Bell Isle. Another zone we visited was man-made which had specially selected plants that are notably water thirsty.

I visited Belle Isle as part of the ‘Splash and Dash’ event. Nature is more prominent on Belle Isle but even as I ventured away from the crowds of people sunbathing on the undulating granite, I was met by abandoned buildings and wooden sightseeing platforms. I concluded that these parks exist so that city dwellers can comfortably visit the James River and the surrounding habitat. The James River Park System does an excellent job of creating and maintaining their parks so people do not lose their connection with nature.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to James River Parks and Recreation

1. TRL says:

Ah, I enjoyed Ikal’s challenge on Wednesday too. Well done using that question to motivate your essay. I think there are multiple target audiences from ourselves, to the student body, to the entire University community, to the city and beyond. It depends on what activity we are engaged in at the time. Keep asking yourself this question throughout the semester.