Maymont Nature Center

After my scientific journey through the James River exhibit of the Maymont Nature Center, the image of the James developing in my mind became filled with Virginia’s finest aquatic wildlife.

The exhibit begins with a fun-filled and innocent exercise which introduces the focus area, pressing buttons illuminates the borders of various geographical boundaries. Curious participants can see the James River, the borders of the James River Watershed and the city of Richmond.

Beyond the first room were tanks of water, each holding past inhabitants of various parts of the James. Prior to my visit to Maymont, I had no idea what lurked within the James.

Prominently displayed were fish habitats. At first glance, most of the fish seemed innocent and harmless as they slid past each other minding their own business. As my eyes continued to search through the manmade habitat, however, I noticed something strange. Experiencing a Blue Catfish for the first time in person is shocking. It looks like a prehistoric creature that is large enough to swallow my whole arm without getting stretch marks. Another tank appeared empty. The label said Snapping Turtle but there was none in sight. I carefully scanned the entire habitat. In the back corner, a gigantic, rigged tail dangled from a shell that had huge jutting spikes. I realized that the eels, crabs and gargantuan fish I was seeing would be beneath my paddling feet the next time I go swimming in the James.

Next to the habitats was a variety of information about the James River. One panel taught about Fish Hatcheries, from which I learned that some fish are bred and hatched in these facilities before they are released into the James River. Another panel explained the importance of wetlands and how they store water, rejuvenate the surrounding ecosystems, and provide habitats to various animals.

Before reaching the end of the exhibit I had made some conclusions. I concluded that the Maymont Nature Center juxtaposes innocent looking animals with vicious looking animals with a light sprinkling of education which creates a mixture between knowledge and fear.

The final room held two River Otters and a quote which said “Anyone who takes the time and effort to understand, to respect, and to love the James River will be rewarded a thousand times” – David Ryan, The Fall of the James. I contemplated David Ryan’s quote as I watched the River Otter swim back and forth. I realized the reason the Maymont Nature Center existed was for people who are interested in understanding the James River, so they can better respect its existence, like me.

One Response to Maymont Nature Center

1. TRL says:

Fun photos Christopher. Thanks for including them. I love Ryan’s quote too. Your essay ends strong. Think about how to grab the reading’s attention immediately with a similarly strong introductory statement. The descriptions of the river otter, catfish, and snapping turtles are engaging and creative. The use of them to support a central thesis about knowledge, fear and respect for existence could be emphasized more strongly if the essay were a organized a bit more clearly around that main theme. It feels like you are almost invoking an Awareness-Appraisal-Behavior argument too, which would be appropriate. Nice entry.