Bioshock Infinite – Finkton Docks through Piano Scene (Jaclyn)

This section of Bioshock infinite was a little bit jarring. The entire concept of Finkton Docks was particularly disturbing, for all of the scenes showed the black and Irish people of Columbia completing tiresome and somewhat dangerous physical labor. The most concerning part was the propaganda throughout the city and the fact that these people seemed brainwashed to believe that they were being treated well and that their sole purpose was to perform the dirty work of the city. I’m curious about what part of history this part of the game is referencing because it brings up issues of the labor movement. I was also really curious when the game showed that Lin and his wife were Buddhists, only then to see an extremely gory and tortured-to-death Mr. Lin. This whole plot line demonstrates the issues of freedom of religion, or lack of it, in this time period. Overall, the treatment of the civilians in Finkton was really eye opening about the deeper moral implications of the game.

Once I got to the part of the game with the tear, I was kind of freaked out that we could actually enter a different Columbia. I know we’ve been talking a lot about how Elizabeth has the ability to switch dimensions and how infinite realities exist, but the scene with the Luteces seeing two different sides of the coin based on their “perspectives” and the fact that we actually entered a different reality kind of freaked me out and raised a number of questions for me. I don’t understand how the people who were dead in the original Columbia could come back to life in the alternate reality and remember being dead, as Elizabeth explains. Also, who exactly are the Luteces, and what is their bigger role in the overall story of Booker and Columbia?

4 Responses

1. James Bachmann says:

Bioshock has the magical ability where for every answer you find, it produces two more questions. Yes, the game gets very trippy as the tears start playing an even more major role in the game and especially when you start going through them. As for the Vox, they are not really classified as Columbia citizens since they aren’t even viewed as really being human. Columbia keep the Vox in their place by never allowing them to experience anything better or know better. Which leads to why most people don’t try and change their bad situations, better to know the devil than to suffer the unknown.

2. Joseph Sterling says:

I have come to the conclusion that the answer to every question we have about Bioshock Infinite is “Because plot” or “The devs needed to make a game.”
    As for Finkton Docks, Fink is by every measure a caricature of the capitalists of the Gilded Age: all profit, no time for “human rights”. Anyone who wouldn’t/couldn’t work would be let go and starve to death. Given how Mr. Lin wanted to help a revolutionary group take down Fink’s main source of income, Comstock, I’m surprised that they left the shop standing.

3. Shanay Amin says:

What I thought when I saw the black and Irish people enslaved was either when Europe had control of most of the world or slavery in America. This was hard hitting as a lot of people have gone though this and it is still an important topic in this day and age. The tears also bring an interesting dimension to this game and I am excited to learn more about how they work.

4. Wogan Snyder says:

I’m not so sure we’re in an entirely different Columbia. I mean, obviously it’s not the same one we left, but the stumbling corpses make me think that maybe these different Columbias aren’t as different as we may think. What this means exactly, I’m not sure but I think there is more going on than we initially see.