Bioshock Continued…

I had a harder time playing the most recent Bioshock assignment. For one, my computer could not handle the frame rate for the first ten minutes. I didn’t realize how much processing power this game requires because they graphics aren’t incredibly realistic. It made me realize that there are other factors that go into a game besides graphics to make a game run slowly from your computer. Also, I think the enemies got harder to kill. They might have more health or the layout of the map might give them a stronger advantage against me. Before, the game was not entertaining enough for me, but since they made the enemies harder to kill, I have found myself having a lot of fun.

The one main thing I want to talk about is the bird and cage choice you have to make. Near the end of the second assignment, the main character has to choose between two necklaces for the female protagonist. One necklace is a bird and one necklace is a chain. I picked the cage because I thought it looked cooler, but I am beginning to wonder if the two choices have any symbolism to them that I can’t figure out. I also wonder if the necklaces will have an impact on the game. Call it a hunch, but I think there is a strong possibility that the necklaces could be important in the near future. I can’t wait to see more of what the game has to offer and what villains will be introduced later in the game.

4 Responses

1. James Bachmann says:

Yeah, it is hard to enjoy a great game when your computer can’t handle the graphics and yes, the enemies have been getting harder. The solution though to the harder enemies is the sniper rifle. If you are confident you can land headshots, then with most enemies its a one hit one kill. As for the choices, I so badly want to see the effects that they have on the game because so far I felt like none of my choices have a true effect.

2. Ahsan Ahmad says:

The bird and the cage choice is going to be really important later on in my opinion. I think the two options represent Elizabeth’s fate, depending upon Booker’s actions. If we decide to take her back with us to repay our debts, that might be a result of the player choosing the cage necklace + other future actions. On the flip side, if we choose the bird option + commit other similar actions, it might result in us ‘freeing the bird’ that is Elizabeth and saving her from captivity.

3. Rachel Helbling says:

I am also interested to see what kind of impact this choice will have. This choice was not as impactful as the first choice we had to make about throwing the ball. At the time of choosing the necklaces i did not really think of what kind of impact it would have i just picked the one that i liked better (the bird). While making the first choice however the effects were more clear. Depending on what we picked for the first choice the couple either thanked us and gave us armor, just thanked us, or were dead. The effects of this choice in the short or long term wern’t very significant in my opinion. I am very curious what the effects of this second choice will have, hopefully we will find out soon.

4. Shanay Amin says:

I have also seen a few short lag spikes playing on a PS4 but I think a non- gaming computer would be a lot worse. A ps4 is made for gaming and a still noticed a slowdown. I think it’s just because the game is a little older so there could be a few bugs. I chose the bird when I had the choice and I also think it could mean something important in the future.