Flow- Lana Vjestica

2 Comments on Flow- Lana Vjestica

The concept of flow encompasses every single keyword we’ve learned about in this chapter. Whether it be assemblage, data, agency, etc. they all come from flow. Flow is how networks grab onto the audience’s attention from one program to another. It’s basically “how they get you”. Just like how one moment you’ll be browsing through instagram and the next minute you’re buying a pair of shoes you don’t need. This happens because ads are implemented through the social media we consume. It happens frequently with social media influencers. Their main job is to see products in a way that’s “relatable” to get the audience to apply it to their life and want to buy it. We see this as well as just regular ads that pop up as we go through our feed or are clicking through instagram stories. Going along with this, we get distracted by this ads in the same way we get distracted with notifications. As soon as an interesting notif pops up, we’re already onto the next thing and it’s like an never-ending cycle.

2 thoughts on “Flow- Lana Vjestica

1. Grace Brogan

I find your discussion about the integration of shopping and advertisements on Instagram to be interesting. I have also recently found myself scrolling through the platform and then suddenly I am looking at a new watch band for my apple watch, all without leaving the app. The way shopping has been integrated into the app advertisements sit within the “flow” of the app, they provide an almost seamless disruption.

2. Maria Isabella Kjellen

I like your example of shopping connected to social media to represent how flow essentially connects all our actions and the background behind it. I too see this all the time between media platforms. It could be through the instagram shopping section or even from the programed ads that appear while I view stories. I too agree that the concept of flow encapsulates all the media keywords we have seen so far. Flow is somewhat the product of the factors. It is what keep each one going and is their ultimate purpose for functioning.