Agency- Bella Kjellen

1 Comment on Agency- Bella Kjellen

Agency within our modern-day technological and media atmospheres revolves around the concept of connection between action and effect. Technology and platforms are reliant on human interaction to gain information which can then be allotted as future actions, thus it can seem like personal privacy is limited in this day and age. When I think about agency within technology, I first think of google searches. Autofilled search suggestions occur conveniently when needed due to the thousands of information pieces gathered with each search we plug in daily. Additionally, my dad works as a consultant for startups and has told me about the AI companies he works with- personal banking mostly mentioned. When thinking about artificial intelligence banking I have always thought this concept is slightly concerning. While yes, this is an incredibly efficient update within finances, I cannot help but wonder what else that information is used for. All actions through technology are used in some way or another, and I believe that while we as humans use these advancements to our benefit, our actions are also needed for the technology to run smoothly and to its benefit. By transferring our needs, income, and personal information into pieces of data, we are giving the technology insight into our wants, needs, and desires all of which will result in agency.

1 thought on “Agency- Bella Kjellen

1. Mary Clouse

I think oftentimes in situations where agency is used to make life easier, such as your example of artificial intelligence in banking, we forget that this involves some give and take. The convenience of these agents requires the input of personal information, and involves some kind of human surrender to technology in the hope that whatever the agent may be, it is doing what it is supposed to do. The successful function of these agents requires some allowance of knowledge to the agents, which then raises concerns of how this knowledge will be used, as you mentioned.