blog post 11/16

I found chapter 22 of People’s History of the United States, to be very interesting. Zinn discusses how in some presidential elections, especially Reagan’s and Bush’s, the media put on a different view of the election than what it actually was. I feel that some people have a similar view of this year’s election. Some people did not love either of the candidates. It was surprising to see if the Bush and Reagan elections that not a lot of people voted. Both the presidents were viewed as if they won by a lot and they have a lot of support but in reality, they actually faced some resistance. Zinn talks about how American’s protested against Raegan’s production of nuclear weapons. Throughout the chapter, Zinn focuses on different times American’s protested. He talks about the Chicano movement which was a movement in the 1980s that focused on Mexican descendants who lived in California and the Southwest that were unhappy with the foreign policy. Zinn discusses the times in America when Americans were in opposition towards systems that the government had set up and the different perspectives from the media and reality. 

1. Alexander Dimedio Alexander Dimedio

I agree with you about the Bush and Reagan election. I also find the connections to the election that happened this year to be an interesting thing to look at. I think it is interesting how all of the different protests were for different things, yet revolved around a similar theme. There was and still is clear dissatisfaction in the government.

2. Henry Groves Henry Groves

I agree with the similarities to this election and how people were deciding between the candidate that they disliked the least. It was surprising that many people did not vote in that election when this previous election was the most voted in history.

3. Elina Bhagwat Elina Bhagwat

Zinn mentions how for the first time a lot of people who had never protested before started to protest. I think this just goes to show the overall dissatisfaction with the government, especially from workers. This may have stemmed from the repeated election of Republicans and extremely polarized nation.