Litter And Its Consequences

This morning I woke up just before that awkward period between 10:00 and 10:30am during which the dining hall is closed, and decided to go for a morning walk to discover my reflection spot. As I was crossing the island, I paused a moment and considered the gazebo. I realized that this would likely be a popular reflection spot, due to its location central to the lake and its quiet simplicity. However, I also realized that I had sat in the gazebo all of once during my time at Richmond, during the small field trip with book club last semester. My typical lake perch tends to be one of the benches on the waterside. I decided the gazebo would be my reflection spot.

During my initial 360-degree scan of my surroundings, I was disappointed to see the amount of litter scattered atop the frozen portions of the lake, the largest piece being a full trash can. Accompanying the trash can were a red visor, a few empty beer cans, red solo cups and small pieces of crumpled paper. I understand that at least a few of these objects were put on the ice as an experiment by students, to see how strong the ice was. Curiosity got the better of them. But they failed to realize the consequences of what they’d done, because when the ice melts and the litter falls through, it’ll join the countless other pieces of trash in the lake that disrupt the local ecosystem, though technically they are disrupting the local ecosystem where they are now. It will get stuck there for an indefinite amount of time, until a lake cleanup project occurs when the lake is drained. When litter gets into bodies of water, it poses a threat to local creatures who may confuse it for food, eat it, and get sick or die. If the litter is sharp, like broken glass, it poses a threat to both animals and humans who walk around the lake. Litter is also a threat to the aesthetic appreciation of the lake. A beautiful, clean and healthy lake is much preferable to one smothered by junk.

Though my first time in my reflection spot was a little disheartening, I’m truly happy with my choice and am excited to spend more time there.

-Jules

This entry was posted in Reflection Spot. Bookmark the permalink.