Attendance Policies

Regular attendance to all class meetings Tuesdays and Thursdays is expected. If you must miss a class, please let me know as soon as possible. More than TWO unexcused absences will affect your final grade. In addition to these you are expected to attend:

1. Individual conference appointments. You are expected to meet with Yasmine Karam, our designated Writing Consultant, to go over drafts of your essays. These conferences are required. Any skipped appointment will result in a one letter-grade penalty for the assigned essay. Your final version of your written assignment will be turned in to me along with her comments. I will be looking at your revisions in light of these comments as part of the final grade.
  2. TWO field trips. I have arranged to visit Church Hill from 3 to 5 pm on October 1st to visit this Richmond City neighborhood and meet with volunteers involved with Church Hill Afterschool Tutoring (CHAT). I have also set up transportation to Twin Oaks on Saturday, September 12th from noon to 6 pm. Twin Oaks is one of the longest-enduring and largest intentional communities in North America.
  3. Strongly encouraged but not required (unless you wish to make up for a missed class) is attendance to the First Year Seminar Student Conference on Friday, October 2 (Family Weekend) from 1 to 5 pm.