Conversation about opera

When I confronted my friend and asked him what his thoughts were concerning opera, he gave me sort of a blank stare. “Seriously?” he replied. This response alone actually reveals a lot about many peoples’ standpoints on the age-old concept of opera. Immediately, we can infer that opera is something not generally talked about amongst typical college students. Usually, the conversations about music and performances amongst students revolve around popular music artists (Chris Brown, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Mac Miller), concerts, and instruments. Very rarely does opera spark a conversation.

I asked my friend what his true opinion of opera was. He basically replied expressing his disinterest in it, stating that he is into more beat-pumping rock and metal music. He doesn’t enjoy what is usually just a singer on stage; he just needs a bit more to make him really enjoy the music. Fortunately, he did admit that opera was a beautifully difficult genre to master and that the level of skill required to be successful in the area was monumental. Though he doesn’t exactly prefer to listen to opera, I appreciated that he still understood the true beauty of the type of music.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.