response to Emily Dietrick’s post, “Time: The Past, The Present, and The Future”

I thought you explained the dilemma of time very well. You talked about how the present can be broken down into infinitely small measure of time, and how the past plays a pivotal role in how we experience the present. I agree wholeheartedly that the past affects how we experience the present. Our memories of the past shape our biases that we carry with us into the future. I also agree that in order to experience the present, you have to think about the past. As teenagers, I think this is especially noticeable. We are constantly worrying about how others perceived us in class today or what happened last weekend. Certain events that happened in our past can affect how we see things right now- like with your example of not liking blueberries. It becomes even trickier, like you mentioned, when we add the dimension of the future. So not only are we worrying about something that happened in the past, but we also have to think about the future, an upcoming test, what we’re going to do next weekend or what we’re going to do with our lives after college. In short- experiencing the present involves a careful balance of remembering the past and preparing for the future.