Gottwald Science Center is home to the chemistry, biology, and physics departments at the University of Richmond and one of the things I love most about my job is my colleagues that inhabit this building with me; the conversations about teaching, research, and life that start up we run into each other in the hallway have enriched my time here. In particular, I am surrounded by a number of strong, successful women that I get to interact with on a daily basis. As I was looking forward to a summer of research, I thought it would be advantageous to fellowship with these women on a more normal basis. Hence, the Gottwald Women in Science (WIS) Book Club was born!

We are making our way through the book, Lab Girl, by Hope Jaren that was published earlier this year. It is our hope that the conversations will allow us to discuss life as women in academics, science, and the laboratory. I also hope that it may cross barriers from one side of the building to the other and from full professors to assistant professors to lab managers.

We had our first discussion yesterday and as I looked around the room at the women that attended, I realized that I am blessed to have such a supportive work environment. So thank you to the women of Gottwald! I look forward to continued discussion this summer.

–JAP