Update, 8/23/2016: As of 5pm today, all 131-132 wait-lists will be closed. All 131-132 sections will be re-opened as first-come, first-serve for adding and dropping on Bannerweb.
Registration for Fall 2016 classes will begin soon. The physics department will be offering four sections of PHYS 131 and one section of PHYS 132. As in the past, some seats in these courses will be reserved for students in each year. To be specific, the seating limits on each section will be
- 6 students during senior registration,
- 12 students during junior registration,
- 18 students during sophomore registration,
- 24 students during first-year registration.
The reason for this is that prospective physics majors need to be able to take these courses early, so we can’t let all the seats be taken by juniors and seniors.
As we did last semester, we will have wait-lists for these courses. If all the sections that fit your schedule are full when your registration time comes, you can sign up for the wait-list. (Do continue to try to add the sections you want for as long as your registration window is open. If a seat opens up, we can’t stop somebody else from beating you to it.) Then, after first-year registration is complete, any available seats will be filled off the wait-lists.
The rest of this post contains details about the wait-list policies. (They’re the same as last semester.) At the very bottom, you will find links to sign up for the wait-lists (but note that you can’t sign up until your registration time has arrived).
PHYS 131-132 Wait-list policies
- A student may only sign up for the wait-list after that student’s registration time has begun.
- A student who is enrolled in one section of the course may not sign up for the wait-list for other sections.
- The student must provide name, email address, ID number, registration group (e.g., “rising junior scholar / athlete” or “rising sophomore”), and desired section(s) of the course. “Rising sophomore” means that you will be a sophomore in the coming semester. For PHYS 132, there is only one section, so you don’t have to provide the section.
- Students will be admitted off the wait-list beginning at the end of the registration period for first-year students.
- Students will be offered admission off the wait-list in the order they signed up. To be specific,
- If any seats are available in any sections listed by the first student on the list, then that student will be offered a seat in one of those sections.
- If a student has listed multiple sections, and seats are available in more than one section, then the chair will choose which section to offer the student.
- The same procedure will be applied to each student in order.
- When a student becomes eligible to be admitted off the wait-list, the chair of the physics department will notify him or her by email. The student will have 12 hours to accept this invitation by replying to the email. If the student does not reply within that time, he or she will be dropped from the wait-list, and the next eligible student will be admitted.
If you have any questions, ask Matt Trawick, the physics department chair.