Arachnophonia: Bells of Change

Editor’s note: Arachnophonia (“Arachno” = spider / “-phonia” = sound) is a regular feature on our blog where members of the UR community can share their thoughts about resources from the Parsons Music Library‘s collection.

All links included in these posts will take you to either the library catalog record for the item in question or to additional relevant information from around the web.

Today’s installment of Arachnophonia is by student manager Kiran (class of 2024) and features insert title info here. Thanks, Kiran!

Bells of Change: Kathak Dance, Women, and Modernity in India by Pallabi Chakravorty

UR Bollywood Jhatkas

I’ve recently been fascinated with classical South Asian dance after watching a few of my Bollywood Jhatkas teammates perform during our most recent show.

Kathak is a type of Northern Indian dance and is one of the eight classical dance forms in India. The movements are heavily rooted in storytelling, hence the graceful arm and hand movements. Nomads took these stories outside of the Hindu temples and began integrating more expression into the art form, as well as more intricate footwork. There are three forms of Kathak, each focusing on different aspects of the dance. Traditionally, small bells are tied to the dancer’s ankles to enunciate the footwork.

Bells of Change: Kathak Dance, Women, and Modernity in India, written by Pallabi Chakravorty, is a critical study of this ancient dance form and its impact on women in India. Much like food, I find dance to be a way to share cultural identity. I love sharing my passion for South Asian dance with my friends and the greater Richmond community. Still, there is so much more to these art forms than what meets the eye. That being said, there are a wide variety of books on Kathak and other dance forms in the Music Library, so be sure to check them out!

Bells of Change