Blog Post 11/18/20

Zinn begins his chapter, “The Coming Revolt of the Guards” by acknowledging that his book is, “a biased account, one that leans in a certain direction” (645). Zinn’s admission of a bias towards a history he desires to capture is vital. It is extremely important, especially at the end of reading a book, article, poem, news papers etc. that one questions the bias and limitations of that work. This informs what was learned as well as what is missing. Zinn also claims that he does not mind that his work is biased because there are so many works biased in the other direction.

In this chapter Zinn wraps up everything we has previously read. He discusses his opposition to the government and the fake patriotism born to control the majority of the population. Calling the constitution and revolution a “scheme” so that the wealthy elite white men could do as they please and control society. Zinn points out for how most of American history the elite worked so , “that the 99 percent remain split in countless ways, and turn against one another” (648). But the people were not always fooled into submission, “Every time it looked as if it had succeeded, the very people it thought seduced or subdued, stirred and rose” (648). Throughout this book and chapter Zinn highlights what happens when minority groups and the majority of the American population come together to fight for what is right. Discontent for and distrust of the government among the American people is evident.

There is hope. When the people revolt together, “The elite’s weapons, money, control of information would be useless in the face of a determined population” (654). This chapter left me feelings optimistic. Throughout this course we have spent a lot of time discusses all of the injustices faced by the American people/other peoples at the hand of the American government. However, I believe that if we become less polarized and united together I feel that our country could do a lot of good and improve lives. What more will it take to united the country in a time where it feels so divided? Is our polarization a result of government actions in order to maintain power?

1. Zariah Chiverton Zariah Chiverton

I also think it’s important that Zinn points out that his account is biased because it is better than what textbooks typically teach. Normally, when we are taught history, we are taught that that is the truth and the whole truth and there is nothing else to the story when there is actually so much that is being left out. By informing us that he is biased to tell one side of the story, is letting us judge what is true and what isn’t rather than being forced to accept a lie.

2. Sophia Picozzi Sophia Picozzi

To answer your question on what more needs to happen to improve unity in our country, I would argue that when/ if the US overcomes the challenges surrounding COVID-19, we will come out appreciative of the people and institutions around us. Although COVID has polarized the nation and political parties, I think that the aftermath will be accompanied by an air of gratefulness and even motivation to move past the current, borderline ridiculous state of polarization we are in.

3. Carly Cohen Carly Cohen

I was also glad that Zinn was biased throughout the book. We have all been taught somewhat inaccurate history throughout our lives, and I am glad I gained new insight through reading this book. I would rather be told a harsh truth than have to live knowing uneducated lies.

4. Jeffrey Sprung Jeffrey Sprung

I admired the fact that Zinn began this chapter by recognizing the fact that PHUS is politically biased. The fact that Zinn is able to acknowledge this bias makes PHUS very unique as so many books about the history of the United States do not acknowledge that their claims could be refuted.