11/11

I never understood the idea behind tourist attacks and maybe a reason behind 9/11. “We are not hated because we practice democracy, value freedom, or uphold human rights. We are hated because our government denies these things to people in Third World countries whose resources are coveted by our multinational corporations.” The United States appeals too many because it seems like we are a country with open arms accepting anyone who would like to come… The United States isn’t exactly like that. We are not a melting pot in which we say. The United States is still very segregated in its ways.

The Henrico Country school system is segregated based on economic status and race. A Prime example would be Glen Allen High School and Hermitage High School. Henrico Country had built a new school, Glen Allen, when they were districting the lines between neighborhoods they placed the wealthier families to be districted to Glen Allen, and then those who aren’t as fortunate would be placed at Hermitage High School. These schools are about 1.5 miles apart. I have had first-hand experience with students who attend Hermitage. They have to worry about how other schools and police officers will treat them at football games— home or away. It makes me sad that when a game would be at Hermitage, me included would normally choose not to go to the game. Where the majority of the school would attend the games in other counties. I strongly believe that Henrico Country needs to redraw the line and not listen to the money from parents. The United States is absolutely not a melting pot and doesn’t accept everyone. In many documents for the United States, they talk about freedom and justice for all, but that is not the case here. This country has work that needs to be done to make a change so that maybe one day we can be a melting pot but until then.

1. Tess Keating Tess Keating

That is a good point. I don’t get how the US can make children recite the pledge of allegiance every morning that states “with liberty and justice for all” yet doesn’t treat all people fairly.

2. Samuel Hussey Samuel Hussey

I liked your personal reference to how segregation is still present in the US today. The US thinks highly of itself for being accepting of others when they still have a lot of work to do to reach that point.