Mia Slaunwhite – 10/14

The first thing that I think of when reading this passage is that the stereotypes for being a doctor is also being a male. Men and women both function and are different. The way the brain works in the female body and the male body are completely different and it seems like John doesn’t exactly have a good understanding of what she is going through. It is tough to see a woman struggle mentally and try to get help and the only advice she is given is basically you are crazy, nothing is wrong. Being told to do nothing is absolutely terrible. The body needs to have an activity to feel better. Physical or mental activity is very important as it releases hormones that make the brain and the body feel better.

What sinks in is the idea that she has to hide her true thoughts from her husband. That relationship doesn’t exactly seem like a strong one. This just shows that there was a point where women had to hide their feelings and thoughts. They had to wear this mask of a completely different person. That is just how it was. It is important now that women are able to speak up and able to expresses their ideas and thoughts. Having to internalize feeling is terrible for the sole and can lead to a huge explosion that could have been avoided id communication had taken place in the first place. I couldn’t imagine what it was like for women to be forced to stay quiet.

1. Zachary Andrews Zachary Andrews

I too noticed immediately that both of the doctor figures in the story were men: John, and her brother. I am not surprised that two men are depicted as the doctors in the story simply because it was written in 1892. This leads me to wonder, are there any books or stories from the past that have women working a then and now, male dominant job?

2. Tess Keating Tess Keating

I also found it interesting that the doctor was male. This stereotype is one that I feel like older generations agree with, but I have have never thought of this on my own. Most doctors I have had my whole life have been women, so the stereotype of doctors being men is not one that I have.

3. Kayla O'Connell Kayla O'Connell

The fact that she had to hide her true feelings around her husband was definitely sad. Her husband ignored her complaints and wouldn’t let her stir without direction. I can’t even imagine how she would be feeling in that environment. She was completely ignored and sent away to be by herself.