Beyond Red and Blue

In this reading the author touched on some interesting aspects of democracy.  The part that was most interesting to me is when Williamson talked about the three civic virtues. He says the three civic virtues are awareness of others, a sense of fairness and fair play, and the ability to find the right balance between moral humility and moral courage. I like how he then breaks down each virtue and explains why people need to know them and understand them for a democratic society to work. After reading his in depth description of each virtue, I agree that those things are needed for a democratic society to function.

Out of the three civic virtues, the one I found the most interesting was having moral humility/courage. I also think this is one that a lot of people in today’s society do not possess. The requirement of this virtue is the ability for a person to somewhat have an understanding to other people’s views even if they are opposing views. Most people have a set view of their own and if it’s not their belief then it’s just wrong all together.

1. Micaela Willoughby Micaela Willoughby

Moral humility was also the biggest point of interest to me too. Because we are now surrounded by cancel culture. You have conservatives and liberals calling each other names and completely shutting down dissenting opinions without listening to a word because they’re “libtards” or “bigoted” You can’t just call people that and completely ignore what they’re saying. No one will make any progress that way and the issues will get worse.

2. Leah Kulma Leah Kulma

I completely agree with your point regarding a lack of moral humility/courage in today’s society. I think the lack of bipartisanship in our democracy right now comes down to the lack of this civic virtue.

3. Susan Nevin Susan Nevin

I completely agree that humility is one of the most important qualities to have as a leader. In addition to being able to understand other people’s views, I think humility gives someone the ability to present as an equal, which is very effective in terms of gaining followers.