Ingroups and Outgroups

After reading the chapter “Ingroups and Outgroups” by Howard and Jane Giles I thought that it was really interesting how there is so much that goes into defining a group and what goes into effectively communicating with other groups. One of the most interesting things I found about characterizing yourself into a group was the fact that there are ways to make it known that you are not part of a group. I had never really conceptualized the fact that some people in Europe don’t like to be called Europeans. I also thought that the majority of the things that the chapter talked about as being ‘valuable’ to know when communicating with other people in different groups to be common sense. I think that it is customary not to say slurs to people, or to question their eating habits. However, I know that throughout the rest of the world that might not be the case.

I think that this article has great intent because they are trying to teach us about how to better and more effectively communicate with people who are not in our ingroups. I think that the accommodation theory is more used today as more people are trying to erase the old ways of only talking to people who are in our ingroups. I find the whole concept of ingroups and outgroups to be fascinating, because it really is just human nature at the end of the day. I think that through consciously making sure to be inclusive and understanding to other people’s ingroups that you are not a part of can make intergroup interactions go a lot better.

1. Eliza McCarron Eliza McCarron

I also thought it was interesting that there are ways to characterize yourself as not part of a group, because the reading talked mostly about ways people identify themselves as a member of an ingroup, so it was interesting that this goes both ways.

2. Celia Satter Celia Satter

I thought it was interesting and very accurate how you said that it is just human nature to just make in-groups and out-groups because people like to belong and how another group to be up against or, worst case, blame in case something happens.

3. Leah Kulma Leah Kulma

I really appreciate your point about how much good being conscious of the in-groups around you can do. It really shouldn’t be that difficult to educate yourself about the people in which you choose to interact with to make sure that those interactions are positive and meaningful for both sides.

4. Susan Nevin Susan Nevin

I also thought it was very interesting how much goes into defining a group. I think that we may be over thinking that idea, and we don’t necessarily need to have a definition for every type of group. I think that if we learn to communicate better and understand what people want to identify with, we can understand group dynamic.

5. Kendall Duffy Kendall Duffy

I also found it very interesting how much went into defining a group and their communicative skills. It was interesting to learn to look at yourself as you are not part of the group, and there are many different ways to characterize yourself.

6. Quinn Maguire Quinn Maguire

I agree that the accommodation theory is becoming more and more used today as more people are working to become more inclusive. I also wonder if this mentality is more apparent to me because of the communities I have been and am a part of (higher education, being from Massachusetts, etc.)