In groups and out groups

I find the idea of in groups and out groups very interesting. I think people often think about the groups they identify with a lot, but don’t think as much about the groups they don’t identify with and why. I also think it was interesting how the in groups identifies them selves and their means of doing so. It’s important to look at the common things a group has and what forms each group. Also why the groups form.

I think that this can be applied to large scale and small scale groups. Whether it be a certain friend group to a whole racial group. I think it’s important we understand the types of groups we are in as well as other people to try and understand our own and others identities.

1. Sean Bailis Sean Bailis

I personally believe ingrouping is more of a subconscious act than a conscious one, as I do not think about the groups I identify with a lot. I definitely agree that it is something important to understand, not only the groups we are in and why we are in them, but why we feel like we belong in them.

2. Indya Woodfolk Indya Woodfolk

I agree with you. We easily gravitate towards people who seem like us, but it is interesting to see how “others” view that dynamic as well. Along with how “we” view the “others”.