In Praise of Followers

Robert Kelley’s article, “In Praise of Followers,” outlines the qualities of different types of followers. In doing so, he also outlines the qualities of leaders. Kelley argues that effective followers and effective leaders exemplify the same qualities like self-management, commitment to an organization, purpose, or person outside of themselves, honesty, and credibility. I was really surprised to see that connection. Our society pushes forth the idea that being a leader is something that we should all aspire to be. I am sure that when each of us were completing our college applications, we were at some point asked to explain a time when we have demonstrated leadership. Why have we ignored the fact that followers are just as important as leaders? To point out the obvious, a leader will never lead if they have no one to follow.

Kelley explains that as a society, we have stereotyped leaders and followers. Followers are seen as less than, unequal to, and in need of leadership. This stereotype needs to be shifted. Under capitalism, we aim to maximize profits. Self-managed followers are actually a cost advantage to a business, considering they do not need “elaborate supervisory control systems.” On top of that, effective followers know how to satisfy corporate goals. Above all else, followers are way more valuable to companies than we realize.

1. Connor Roswech Connor Roswech

This is a great point, and it’s important to note that these imagined constructs of followers and leaders are not as stable as we may think. Kelley mentions several times that at some point in all of our lives, we have been a leader or a follower. Depending on the situation, our roles will change.

2. Leah Kulma Leah Kulma

I really love your point about college applications asking about ways in which someone has shown leadership. It made me think about how weird it would seem if it instead asked when have you shown effective follower-ship. That question should reveal just as much about a person if the stereotype you talked about is shifted .

3. Luiza Cocito Luiza Cocito

Totally agree! We do not give enough recognition to the many qualities an effective follower must acquire. When thinking back on my college application, I wish I had written my talents as a follower rather than a leader in order to demonstrate how those characteristics can translate into effective leadership.

4. Kendall Duffy Kendall Duffy

I agree also! I was also very surprised at the connection between the two. I also really liked your connection to the college applications. I also think that followers are being overlooked and ignored and people just focus on the leader.

5. Quinn Maguire Quinn Maguire

I also agree that the stereotypes surrounding leaders and followers should be broken down but your point about how we view followers as almost lesser than or unequal to leaders reminds me of the domination/subordination article we read last week. This makes me wonder where these stereotypes started: if leaders are the dominants and followers are the subordinates, what does this mean for government especially democracy where all men are created equal (even though we have dismantled this claim in our last view classes). This also makes me question servant leadership and if that is an exception to this leader/dominant-follower/subordinate dynamic.