Tyranny is Tyranny

This reading gave me another viewpoint to look at the foundation of America. While I do not think it is to the same degree today, the wealth in America is the primary causation of any political or social change. This article shows that the poor have been working for the wealthy’s good. However, the wealthy get the most benefit out of it. For example, the mechanics who tried to promote a genuine democracy.

Fighting for a true democracy has been a goal of the middle and lower class Americans for years. All across the world countries are run by some form of patriarchy. With a patriarchy comes different degrees of power. Is it possible to have a true democracy in hand with a patriarchal system of power? I don’t believe that it is 100% attainable. One can come close to balancing the powers, however with some form of unequal power there will always be so much “the people” of the country can influence.

1. Angel Burgos Angel Burgos

Whether or not it is possible to have a true democracy alongside a patriarchal system of power is a tough and interesting question. And I agree with your answer. To some degree they can be balanced out but it is not 100% achievable. The people have a voice but only to some degree of the country.

2. Jason Neff Jason Neff

This reading definitely gave me another viewpoint on history as well. I also agree with your answer to the question if it is possible to have a 100% true democracy. I believe that we will always have a voice but to some degree.

3. Alexandra Smith Alexandra Smith

I think the question of true democracy is an interesting one because we don’t live in a “true democracy.” We live in a representative one. There’s’ a balance between the perfect ideology and practicality. Even with today’s technology, a true, direct democracy is not feasible regardless of the influence of wealth.

4. Jacob Kapp Jacob Kapp

I agree with your point that while wealth does play a factor in political change, it is not everything in today’s society. Social media has provided a voice for everyday people that wouldn’t necessarily have a voice in the 18th century.

5. Lauren Stenson Lauren Stenson

I definitely agree with your question about patriarchy. However to take this a step further looking into the functionality of our country there are many other things like also infringe upon our likeliness to experience true democracy to the fullest and truest. For example, islamophobia, racism, sexism (in addition to other patriarchal ideas), homophobia and more. With all of these in mind, I wonder how true our democracy is.

6. Victoria Devlin Victoria Devlin

I agree with your point that true democracy is not 100% possible, especially in the state the world is today with prejudices concerning race, gender, sexual orientation, and religion. There will always be some form of inequality but it’s up to us to stop judging people based on these things. We do have voice in the government but only to a certain extent because it is up to the politicians to listen to what we say and make change.