Groupthink

In his article “Groupthink,” Irving Janis explains the flaws of group thinking, or groupthink as he calls it, and suggests a few remedies to it. The main problem with groupthink is that the opinion of the majority can smother the opinion of the minority, especially in situations where unanimity is required. A group can turn into its own little society; norms are established relatively quickly, and a sense of loyalty to the group makes challenging these norms difficult. Janis categorizes this phenomenon as pressure. He suggests nine remedies to counter the effects of groupthink when making a decision in a group setting. The overarching theme present in all nine is the importance of objection. Placing a priority on objection forces the group to face any possible downfall in a plan, and this creates, in theory, watertight decisions.

The plot of Thirteen Days revolves around the issues that present themselves in a group setting. The movie dealt with the Cuban Missile Crisis, in particular, a period of high tension in American politics as it followed the failure of the Bay of Pigs. One thing that stuck out to me in this movie was how it was important to recognize that every member of a group has a different perspective, as well as a personal agenda. Most members of the groups in Thirteen Days represented a department of the government, so JFK had to take in everyone’s input while keeping this in the back of his mind.

1. Susan Nevin Susan Nevin

I completely agree with what you are saying about how in groupthink the majority can smother the minority. In addition, I also think that people are more afraid to state an opposing view when they are in a group, as they don’t want to be judged by the other group members or be socially rejected.

2. Micaela Willoughby Micaela Willoughby

I really like how Janis talked about the Bay of Pigs and the intelligent minds that got wrapped up in Groupthink, because had they not, readers might see themselves as above it. Groupthink almost sounds like brainwashing. Like the stuff we read in 102 about framing and priming. You think you’re above this stuff, even after hearing about the masses that fall for it. But reading (and watching) a presidential-scale fumble… it makes you pause.

3. Johnathan Breckenridge Johnathan Breckenridge

One thing that intrigues me is groups within groups. Many times I feel that groupthink happens with subgroups within the group.

4. Ryan Leizman Ryan Leizman

You bring up an interesting point with the thirteen days movie. Not only is it necessary for everyone to express their opinions in order to stop the negative effects of groupthink, but it’s almost important to consider others’ viewpoints.

5. Samuel Senders Samuel Senders

I really enjoyed this post and thought you made a series of excellent points. I completely agree with your reasoning as to why groupthink is dangerous. There is this sense of forming a unanimous decision and forming cohesion amongst the group which is dangerous because you do not get opposing viewpoints. This is exactly what happened in the Bay of Pigs invasion.

6. Ethan Ng Ethan Ng

Group Think is portrayed negatively in the movie and I think you make good points. The movie actually promotes the idea of alternatives or the destruction of the modern world. Alternatives essentially save the lives of millions.