Tranformational vs. Transactional Leadership

In the article titled The Transformation of Transforming Leadership, I was really confused about the section that compared the term “transformational leadership” with the term “transforming leadership.” Couto says that “the adjective form of a noun, transformation…suggests a condition or a state” while “the adjective form of a verb, transform…suggests leadership as a process.” Why, then, is it better for leadership to be a state rather than a process?

On the other hand, I thought that the explanation of transactional leadership given in the STU article was very clear. I liked how it gave examples of where transactional leadership is used versus where transformational leadership is used, as well as how it gave examples of transactional leaders. In transactional leadership, the emphasis is put on the performance of the individual. In the quotes given at the end of the article, it is easy to see that idea put into play. For example, Vince Lombardi, in talking about his former role as the coach of the Green Bay Packers, declared that “the price of success is hard work, dedication…and the determination that…we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.” In other words, as long as his team was playing their absolute best, nothing else mattered.

1. Luiza Cocito Luiza Cocito

I was also very confused with the comparison between the terms “transformational leadership” and “transforming leadership.” However, I do agree that the second article provided a very clear definition of transactional leadership, as it was supported by logical examples. What I found most interesting about transactional leadership is the ways in which it is based on self-interest, whereas transformational leadership is more of a group effort.

2. Ellen Curtis Ellen Curtis

I also though the definition of transactional leadership was very clear in the second article. To me, it made transactional leadership seem much more practical and realistic than transformational leadership. It is more clear what expectations are and how followers should proceed.

3. Megan Geher Megan Geher

I really like the point made about the emphasis that transactional leadership puts on the performance of the individual. This appears to be a key factor in terms of differentiating between transactional and transformational leader. However, this point made me question to what extent the leader matters in a transactional leadership scenario.