Month: October 2019

Slavery Without Submission

Reading this article was very interesting to me, I find it intriguing how Zinn exposes or tries to explain history from the point of view of those who have never gotten the chance to tell their story. Starting off, Zinn challenges the story of slavery itself and instead of painting it racially, the way we have all been told, he explains that the country and its greatness has been built on the backs of slaves. Capitalism itself has systematically kept African Americans down and they are in fact the ones who built it up. Further, Zinn dives in-depth into the horrors of slavery and tells the story of a slave rebellion which led to the deaths of 55 white slave owners. This ended up prompting worse treatment of slaves because white masters wanted to discourage any resistance in the future.

In terms of leadership, however, one part that stuck out to me was the section about Abraham lincoln. “Lincoln could skillfully blend the interests of the very rich and the interests of the black at a moment in history where these interests met.” This reminds me of MLK and his ability to appeal to not only African Americans but also White liberals and ultimately this skill is something that tends to be very useful. In the history of America, the larger the audience a speaker can represent, the more successful they are in the long run and they tend to be more influential. Also, it says that Lincoln did not denounce the fugitive slave law because he knew to pick and choose his battles. He knew that he was an on a thin line that connected his two audiences and it would be destructive for him to anger one group if he really wanted progress.

1 Comment

Slavery Without Submission

I thought this week’s readings were extremely interesting. Zinn talks about the abolition movement before and during the Civil War. In the 1820s and 1830s, there were several slave rebellion attempts that were unsuccessful and led to the execution of those involved, which was supported by the federal government. These rebellions caused tension within the abolitionist movement because some moderates thought that the rebellions actually set back the cause of emancipation. I thought it was interesting that poor whites were paid by plantation owners to oversee slaves while they worked and prevent them from running away. This reminded me of the Miller reading on domination and subordination. Although the circumstances of poor whites were not at all the same as slavery, they were in a position of inferiority relative to the wealthy. Overseeing slaves allowed them to act as the dominant group.

The article also mentions that Lincoln only began explicitly advocating against slavery once abolition became in his political interest. He even refused to denounce the Fugitive Slave Law and argued that the Tenth Amendment of the Constitution prevented the federal government from outlawing slavery in the states. He also did not believe that black and white people were equal and that freed slaves should be sent back to Africa. While I did not know this before, I actually wasn’t that surprised to learn that Lincoln held these views, because it seems like every major historical figure has done or said extremely problematic things that we never hear about.

Something that also stood out to me in both articles was the reluctance of the government to make any real change until there was some other political or economic reason for it. For example, President Truman wanted to address civil rights issues in order to maintain a good appearance on the international stage. It makes me think that in order to make progress as a society, we cannot only rely on elected leaders.